Thread: Playing with setting - advice needed!!!!

Default Playing with setting - advice needed!!!!

I wonder if anyone can help please??

Attached are a few piccies of a setting I'm playing with. A few questions really.... regarding design, do you think the band is too broad (5mm) for a female finger and secondly do you think the setting stands too proud?? (And thirdly) do you think the design would be softened with some small detail design to the band?? any thoughts and advice welcome!

Okay, regarding the setting, I would like the finished setting to be for the facetted stone to sit within the bezel, with the uneven rim remaining. Should I acheive this by raising 'teeth' to hold the stone in? if so, how do you suggest I do this?? or is there a better method to achieve a secure setting??

Thanks for your help.
    Tabby

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec2010 344.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	2762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec2010 338.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	2763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec2010 365.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	2764

AAaaggghh!! Really struggling with file size to upload, so these will have to do for a start at least!!

Hi,

The width of the band is really a personal taste of the wearer. I personally think 5mm is fine. What may matter is how thick the band is, if it is thick say 2 - 2.5 mm it may look a bit masculine, but judjing from the pictures it isn't and in overall look ok. Also, I see you've done a hammered texture, which can be enough for a simpler looking rings. Sometimes less is more.

Did you want the setting to be a bezel setting, with scalloped edges around the stone? In which case, looking at the photos, your stone lookes like it will be too deep and you would have problems setting it. Or did you mean you are going to solder another bezel setting inside the flower?

Dear Jill,
    The width of the band is fine, but please note that for purposes of sizing, the broader the ring of a given size, the tighter it will seem. So it is best to recheck the size now.

As the band appears to be textured (not quite clear) that is sufficient decoration, but get it nearly finished before setting the stone.

The collet seems to have a bearer to seat the stone, but it appears to be a little big, so the next thing to do is to get hold of a cheap set of twist drills. Assuming you have a 5.0mm dia. stone, put the end of the 5.0mm drill shank(the smooth end)into your collet, hold it upright and push all round. This will make the collet fit your stone better. At this point it would be useful to re-anneal to make the final setting easier.

Next trim the collet edges, so that you have either a continuous rim ,or a number of claws (broad for silver). Work out what length you will need so that you can push over about two thirds of a mm for a rim (or a little more for claws), keep the stone perfectly level with a fingernail and set it. Kind regards, Dennis.