Thread: Any tips on working with Nickel silver sheet.

Question Any tips on working with Nickel silver sheet.

Hello All,
    Just bought some Nickel Silver sheet to make some mock ups before I lash out on silver sheet. looking for any tips on forging, pickling etc. Grateful for any info. Thank you . Blackbear

I've been castigated before about commenting on Nickel-silver so I should be quiet really... I never learn!

My exposure to the alloy - as an industrial material, I admit, in rod form - has been that it is brittle, difficult to work, inelastic and thoroughly unpleasant apart from its clean appearance and resistance to oxidising.

Does anyone find this an acceptable mock-up material in comparison to gilding metal (which is also a tad too hard compared to sterling in my too limited experience)?

Do I need to revisit this old enemy?
    Last edited by Joe; 14-02-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Grammar

Hi BB,

For mock-ups I usually use copper, because it is readily available, but I have noted that members usually recommend gilding metal as Joe says. Treat just like silver, but keep strictly separate to avoid confusion later. Being absent minded I would find that difficult.

Kind regards,Dennis.

I've been dragged up on gilding metal which can be rather tough untill you anneal it (torch it with a big flame) then it really becomes quite flexable and easy to work with.

At the moment I'm piercing 2mm thick nickel badges 150 holes for a friend and I can't imagine a tougher material and he's given me six, I told him he might get them by the end of the year and next time I'll call him.

Why anyone would willingly use nickel is beyond me (only my opinion) user friendly it is not.

Carlton

Kind wish I'd found this thread earlier as I had the same bright idea to use nickel for mock ups and I concur, it is really unpleasant to work with. I've never used gilding metal though, isn't it quite yellowish rather than silvery?