Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would You Pay More For Fair Trade Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Yikes I have been known to search the internets for blood diamonds so I am not sure I would be going for fair trade gold and if my name were Naomi I would have kept my trap shut.
    Sorry Ms Kwant, I have been unable to follow your meaning but brains, like free-range eggs, do get addled with age (I am referring to mine). I presume the diamond bit is sarcasm, but who is Naomi? Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-03-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Sorry Dennis yes you are right, I was joking, and it is Mr.Kwant (just so you know Kwant is the name of my horse, an old boy now, my name is Cornelius and as you can imagine I got a lot of stick when younger in the wilds of Scotland with a handle like that so I tend not to use it), Naomi Campbell is the one who should have kept her trap shut, she of the big mouth, quick hands and a dubious friend list.

Yes mystery unveiled. You'll be pleased with that name when you're ancient like me, it has gravitas. Give your old friend a lump of sugar from me, but not more, it's bad for their teeth. Regards, Dennis.

I know this thread has meandered a bit, but the last bit of new gold jewellery I was given was made from Canadian gold. We chose it because it was the only place which was selling what we wanted, but we also liked the idea that it was probably a bit more ethical than getting something from Elizabeth Duke.

This is an interesting issue. I could be ready to pay more for fare gold, but as many of you have already said in this thread, it is rather difficult, nearly impossible to know all the truth about the products. If I could be sure that I'm paying for fare gold I think I would do that.

I sincerely hope what I just heard a representative of Cooksons say on TV about adding a premium to Eco gold "just because we can" to be his own personal thoughts, and not those of Cookson in practice or policy.

This subject is just not going to go away, but the programme did not address the problem of marketing ethically sourced alloys.

Firstly there must be an independent authority to verify its provenance and the expense of this will give rise to a premium.
    Secondly, as I said above, the alloyed copper and zinc must also be ethically mined, or the whole thing becomes a nonsense.

Dennis.

That is very true Dennis but the guy from Cookson said they would add the premium just because they could and frankly after a particular case of mine this last week with Cookson I think I will be reevaluating the business I do with them and although my business may not be that of a high street jeweller I do spend a fair amount with them. My last order a week ago was for £300 pounds ( then postage on top) and the day after I rang to add a couple of items no problem, the day after that I received the email about a free set of pliers for orders over hmmm 120 I think, so emailed them to say could they add that, oh no was the reply we cannot add to web based orders but indeed they had already. So it rather seems to me that Cookson for me are not now going to be my first choice, I can get much the same product with Fischer in Germany and at least I do not know they are screwing me.

and furthermore Dennis you do seem to have the habit of not actually reading the posts in front of your face. I will not get into the number of times you have misspelled my name when it is in front of you but you also have the tendency to read that which you want and not that which is written.

Areyou thinking of someone else? Sorry if I hve unknowingly offended you.
    Dennis.