Thread: Newby to Soldering - Need help please

Default Newby to Soldering - Need help please

Hi Everyone

I'm a complete newby to soldering - did some in a class and that went ok.Now i'm doing it out of class and am not doing very well ( at the moment i'm trying to solder a strip of bezel). I've got a seivert propane torch, which is different to the one that I used before. I've been taking some advice and I've made sure (I think!) that my ends are flush, I'm using tenacity 5 as a flux and medium solder. I've also been cleaning the silver between attempts in a pickle pot. I don't know what else to do. The flux just bubbles up and then nothing happens. I've been trying to heat the whole piece up also. Its very annoying. Your advice would be appreciated.

Firstly a number of us find medium solder the most difficult to use. Tenacity 5 should work, but Auflux or Auroflux will bubble much less. Lastly you may be heating the joint before your whole piece gets up to soldering temperature. So heat remotely from the joint, moving the torch about and let the solder get hot by conduction. Work in semi darkness so that you can see more easily if you are overheating one area.

If you have not already done so, have a look at this http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot...html#post39487 and please do let us know how you get on. Kind regards, Dennis.

That is a very "hot" post that Dennis recommends - it really is the bees knees!

"Sievert" unfortunately doesn't tie it down sufficiently. They have a needle point head that I like for very small stuff like bezel but that others have found challenging. Then they have a slightly bigger head which makes light work of all smallish jobs. You'll need to find the part number or a photo for help with the most likely cause 'too little heat'.

And Dennis again has my vote on medium solder as the devil itself for jewellery work. If only we didn't use the term "hard solder" for the sort that is easier to use than any of the other types. Solder should be called:

"sticky" (easy); "difficult" (medium) and "simples" (hard). It's been weeks and weeks since I cut a paillon from my "medium" coil...

Also, for me, pickling isn't enough, even with hot, strong pickle. The soldering surface needs a scrape or a sand.

Hi again

Many thanks for advice - very interesting! I've ordered a bigger sievert head and am waiting for it as I did suspect that it wasn't delivering enough heat. I read the link that Dennis said - thanks. I'll try again tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Many Thanks

Hi Got my new bigger seivert head today ( model no 3939) - it turned out that I didn't have enough heat directed at the piece. Now I'm happily soldering away. Many thanks you guys - your advice was spot on!

Well done Briadha,

Don't be surprised if from time to time things go wrong. Two common reasons:

-There is contamination and the solder won't flow. Remedied by re-pickling, washing well and cutting new clean pallions.
    -You persist in going on when you are tired and start rushing things. Stop for tea and re-evaluate what you are doing.

Kind regards, Dennis.

[QUOTE=Dennis;41251]

-There is contamination and the solder won't flow. Remedied by re-pickling, washing well and cutting new clean pallions.
    -You persist in going on when you are tired and start rushing things. Stop for tea and re-evaluate what you are doing.

Oh! In hind sight - How many times have I wished I had followed these tips :-)

Dennis, do you prepare / clean your solder before use?

Regards
    Tabby

Quote: 'Dennis, do you prepare / clean your solder before use?'

Hi Tabby,
    Yes it's essential to have clean bright solder strip. You know those green scouring pads they sell in the supermarket? I keep a piece cut from that handy and rub the solder including the edges hard with it, used dry. The same stuff is sold as wheels for polishing lathe and flex shaft to give a satin finish to your work (but not in Tesco). It also gives a rippled texture if put through the rolling mill with sheet metal.
    kind regards from me.