Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi, my name is Graeme
    I enjoy various aspets of jewellry making as and when time allows ( I have 3 other business's)
    My main interest is cutting Opals but this has took a bit of a back seat as good opal rough is so darned expensive. So I cut other stones cabochon for setting.
    I started making chainmail chains for a hobby and friends/relatives soon wanted something(I'm sure most of you have been there).
    I have done a couple of loop in loop 3 way chains but talk about labourious!
    I would like the funds to do a loop in loop in gold! One day.

Anyway, already found loads of useful info on here,perhaps see some of you at Spring Fair.

Cheers
    Graeme

p.s. I have added some photos of my work in the gallery in my profile.
    Last edited by Green Monster; 12-08-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Hello, to the forum!

Oh my Mom would love you, she adores Opals!

hello & welcome to the forum

Hellllllllooooooooo, a big sleepy welcome from me too (not awake yet :P)
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Hi Graeme. Chain maille seems to be suddenly very popular on this forum so you are in good company!! And your constant desire for gold seems to be pretty common round these parts too!!

I love opals...I have one in my engagement ring - because that is what I wanted...everyone was horrified and said how unlucky it was!!...I've been married 28 years now!!... and the only downside is that my fingers have grown too fat to be able to wear the ring anymore!! .

Why don't you resize it?

P.S. Hi Graeme

Hi Graeme and welcome to the forum

Blimey some of you were up late last night/early this morning!

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I have added some of my work to the gallery in my profile.

Barbera, re unlucky Opals. The belief that they are unluck is supposed to be becuase of two possible reasons,
    1, a novel written some many years ago contained a heroine who wore Opal abd bad luck befell her, just as a lot of folk beleieve Coronation Street is real today so the Opal being bad luck became folklore.
    2. Opals were considered unlucck as they had a tendency to crack or craze so being unluck for the purchaser. What one tends to find is craked or crased opals are often found in safety deposit boxes, in these locations air humidity is kept very low and this allows the opals ( which have a high water content) to dry out and thus crack.

that is my understanding anyway.

Cheers
    G

Well, my lovely little opal stayed on my finger until it practically strangled it...but just before it needed cutting off!! I never took it off. Apart from washing and normal daily life it went through 3 house redecorations...including a fireplace build and a false ceiling. 2 garden landscapings....and 4 children...meaning it has been caked in emulsion paint, plaster, manure and baby deposits from both ends. It also saw the beginning of my college 'career' and so has been coated with clays of all sorts and been dipped in various glazes! It never cracked...although it did have a little flaw when we bought it (from an antique shop...so God only knows its history!!)... and it kept its little flash of fire. And my life has been full of blessings!! ... so I don't believe any old folklore!!

As for why I don't resize it... I can't 'do' stone setting and I have never worked in gold....I wouldn't risk spoiling it now. I am happy for it to sit in my jewellery box - alongside the heavily textured, and hence hard to resize, wedding ring that I grew out of too! A cherished part of my past... and a good excuse to have more rings bought for me!!

Your work is truly beautiful Graeme...stunning in fact. You are a very talented man! That Byzantine bracelet is gorgeous! If only I had the money to invest in 2mm fine silver..... I WILL one day ...and I'll make myself one of those!!! ........(Oh Yeh?? ....)
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 12-08-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Suggested that I bought my own engagement ring...I'm not quite that sad!!!

Welcome from me too Graeme

There's always demand for nice cabs - do you sell any of them?