Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
    JPL ( Jends Pind Link) is really pleasing to look at, but unless I am doing something wrong I find it a right bugger to orientate foir the next link. I would not recomend it nas a first mail style to attempt, it is more critical on AR than most, you might find you have a lot of new jump rings to find a use for!..lol
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

Thanks Graeme (and George!!)......I think George wants to keep me guessing... ( got a bit of a 'thing' for abbreviations me thinks!! )

I really must delve into this maille lark a bit more closely. I thought fine silver would be too soft to use and have been trying to fuse the links....I've done mobius links fairly successfully before by fusing - but it is a hell of a game and soooo easy to melt it all into a big blob!!...I have tried to fuse other simple maille links but it is pointless...but then I was using thinner wire.

I would still love to know how many links you had in that byzantine with the 'holes' Graeme... Umm, errr, ...(thinks)...Is that the JPL you all suddenly started talking about????? Deeerrrr!!!

Hi Barbara
    I send over a private message about the number of links but perhaps I sent it incorrectly.
    Anyway, the 3 row Byz. with gaps, takes about 500 jump rings. The gaps were originally meant to house polished Turquoise but it didn't look right so they stayed as gaps.
    The clasp was a slide together tube from Cooksons, looks great, gives a nice finishing touch but a git to operate one handed! (Well it would be for a women with fingers as fat as mine!)

Try fusing 0.5mm ( below) fine wire, thats a game especially when done with a torch! I have made "3 way double loop in loop" necklaces from fused fine, it is really labourious, first one took me about 3 weeks on and off!
    (my mum now owns that one!)

If I can find a picture I will add it to my gallery. Viking weave looks very similar and is a whole lot quicker to do.

JPL gives a ropish like appearance again if I have a picture I will put one up.

cheers
    G

Here's a JPL (Jens Pind linkage):

in 1.6mm

and in 0.7 (I make a lot of these as bases for silver cored 'pandora' styled beads)

The trick to getting the rings in the right place is to try to visualise the three planes. Each ring always follows the orientation of the one three back in the weave - the easiest way to 'get' it is to try three different coloured metals - this one's in three shades of copper:

Apologies for the abbreviations Barbara - there are a lot of them in maille simply because some of the full names are pretty unwieldy!

One good option for working in fine silver is to try weaves that use two ring sizes, one large and one small, so you can fuse or solder the larger rings for strength and stability, and link them with the small ones that will 'hold' safely by themselves.