Thread: really naffed off!

Default really naffed off!

well I am! I had talked myself into ordering a rolling mill and was tempted by the saving of £30 on the economy one in the cooksons sale plus the freepost offer - only to find when I tried to check out my basket that it wasnt going to be available until the end of May!

If you know anyone who has bought one of these rolling mills I would ask them what they actually think of it, I have seen one and tried to use it and it's exactly what it says on the jar "Economy"

Regards Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

I would hope it is fit for purpose - if not whats the point?

I too am on the verge of getting myself a small rolling mill, I have seen one on ebay which is reasonably priced and the delivery charge is not ridiculous for me in France, but I really am unsure if these "economy" ones are fit for the job and finding out is not the easiest of things to do. I would only need it for converting my modest amount of scrap back into useable sheet or wire, but it is a relatively large investment for something I have no experience of.

If anybody has ever bought one of these it would be great to hear how it has served you.

Okay

Cooksons gave Birmingham City University school of Jewellery one of these to try out so perhaps you should look for some kind of feed back off them (Cooksons), but my experience was not good (this is my personal opinion) it was tough to use, the handle on the top came off in my hand when i changed the tension, the turning handle came off when i used it, perhaps it wasn't set up right., my students wouldn't use it either,this was because a state of the art durston rolling mill resided in the next room

Ask Cooksons if there would be a problem returning it if you wasn't completly satisfied .............. problem solved,

I looked on ebay and was tempted by a few but being as I'm teaching I bit the bullet and paid out for a Durston which does wire as well as sheet ....Brilliant !!

Regards
    Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

people who have bought the ones off ebay from this country have been more than happy with them, i think thats where i would be headed or there is this one http://www.jewel-toolcraft.co.uk/Jew...lls_AUZ6S.aspx

mine was from here: http://www.t4j.co.uk/index.php?main_...95b2fb6873b7de - though I think they're all pretty much the same.

It does the job just fine for the price - I will eventually get a durston, mainly because I hate having to constantly change the rollers, but I had too many other things that needed money throwing at them at the time, and I've been perfectly happy with my cheapie for the things I use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    mine was from here: http://www.t4j.co.uk/index.php?main_...95b2fb6873b7de - though I think they're all pretty much the same.

It does the job just fine for the price - I will eventually get a durston, mainly because I hate having to constantly change the rollers, but I had too many other things that needed money throwing at them at the time, and I've been perfectly happy with my cheapie for the things I use it for.
    I'd second this (mine came from Proops Bros about 5 years ago) - perfectly adequate if you're doing light duty scrap reclaiming or texturing . I've used the Durston with the two sets of rollers in my previous professional life which is a completely different league to the cheapy but at £1,400 inc VAT its a bit out of my budget at present. I might consider the next one down at £700 inc VAT but I wouldn't consider the smaller Durstons tbh because with my cheapy (even though I have to change the rollers) I have a greater range of square and d-section sizes can also make triangular wire and have a larger flat area than you'd get with the micro and mini Durstons at c£400.

Thanks George, the info on the t4j one is helpful as I believe that is the same one I was looking at on ebay, with the added advantage of being able to use up some paypal cash.

Thanks George, that one looks perfectly good for the job. No way could I afford or justify a Durston at this moment. I simply want to recycle my scrap and texture the odd bit of sheet. Horses for courses.