Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflections silver...any feedback?

Default Reflections silver...any feedback?

I have just been looking at the range of Reflections silver and was wondering if anyone has worked with it and how it compares to Argentium. Has anyone tried (hot) enameling it? Generally any feedback on any aspect of it would be good. Thanks in advance.

There's been a few discussions on it - no, you can't enamel onto it according to the datasheets.

It's different to both sterling & Argentium; it is much, much more forgiving at heat than Argentium is - no issues with it sagging & cracking at red heat, for example; it seems to work harden more quickly than either, which can be both a blessing and a curse (silversmithing for example - you'll probably need to anneal more frequently, but the lack of firestain later compensates IMO); the age hardening is interesting - I felt that the pieces I annealed were softer than the as-supplied annealed, but after leaving a piece part-done but annealed a few weeks, planishing it seemed to demonstrate a hardened surface (really ought to be able to back that with factual tests, but I've nothing for testing hardness at those levels)...

Oh - keum boo is a doddle with Reflections, BTW.

I've only given the wire a try so far but have been happy with the results - Im pleased with the balled up head pins I've made - nice and neat and it doesnt pock-mark like normal sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Oh - keum boo is a doddle with Reflections, BTW.
    Would the persistant brightness of the silver be a disadvantage? Kind regards, Dennis.

Thank you for that information Peter and Faith. It might be worth giving it a whirl then!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Would the persistant brightness of the silver be a disadvantage?
    Not that I've seen - although with some of the samples I've done, in harsh light it can be more difficult to see the gold.

What heat source do you use for the Keum Boo Peter? I was looking at the ultralite kilns but they have been discontinued in the UK, I believe, due to the elements burning out :-( Any other suggestions would be welcomed!

Thanks
    Tabby

That was done with a single boiling ring (from Amazon, I think). I used to use a gas burner with a steel plate on top, but got fed up with the flame licking round the edge of the plate - too uncomfortable. The fusing temperature wasn't as high as I'd expected either. Oh, and borosilicate burnishers make life easy too!

Thanks Peter.

I've googled borosilicate burnishers and can't find much info or any suppliers for them (just researching at the moment)!

Any advice / suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks.

Sorry about the late reply - missed this earlier.

They're about a 1/2" Pyrex rod, I usually make one end an ogive (bullet point) and the other rounded. They aren't as temperature-sensitive as an agate burnisher - which I'm told will shatter if it is quenched in water - and the gold won't stick to it like it does to a steel burnisher once it gets hot. I've tried making them in thinner glass, but I don't really trust them not to snap, even though there's not much pressure being used.