Thread: Help! Have I over-fired or under-fired?

Default Help! Have I over-fired or under-fired?

I fired a silver clay pendant with a dichroic stone in at 680 degrees centigrade for 45 minutes. When I took it out it was a silvery-white colour and I am having terrible trouble getting a nice finish on it. I have a feeling it should have looked completely white when it came out of the kiln and don't know if I have under-fired or over-fired. If I have under-fired can anyone recommend how long and at what heat I should put it back in the kiln? I would be grateful for any help with this. Thanks.

Which silver-clay did you use? The earlier varieties required longer firing at higher temperatures.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

It was Art Clay Silver. It's only the second time I have used my kiln as I am new to this and both pieces came out silvery/white.

Bagpuss

Providing it was marked 650 and not Original it should be okay at that temperature and for that length of time. The more time you spend on the item (getting it really smooth) before firing, the better the finish you will get. (Not that I am any sort of expert, I would add!). I use micromesh paper to sand my silver clay items to get a really good shine.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

I understand what you are saying about the preparation, but spent ages on it before firing, that is why I cant understand why it wont polish up nicely. I used Highflex sanding pads but haven't heard of micromesh paper. Maybe I should look into that. Thank you for your help. Take care.

Just a thought, have you tried burnishing the piece with a tool like this http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AJL

it sometimes helps to knock the "bloom" back, then it takes a polish better.

I did try burnishing it but not with that particular tool.

All advise appreciated. Thanks.