Thread: Hello from Luton Bedfordshire

Default Hello from Luton Bedfordshire

Hi everybody. I am not a jeweller. I recently packed up my sales job because after almost 4 years it got boring. I have plans to make a living from making some jewellery and selling other people's jewellery. More specifically I need to learn 1) how to solder silver or other metals to make cufflinks and pendants 2) to cut out metal shapes via RT blanking system 1) learn techniques for cold enamelling. I am also looking to establish business links with jewellers and artisans to commission jewellery in the future. I am very inpressed by the enthusiasm, high quality workmanship and friendliness shared in this forum. So anyone near Luton or Herts Beds?

Hi Cufflinks,
    That's quite a tall order. There's no hope of learning all that from books or by correspondence on a forum in any reasonable time. But if you can find an on-going course with good workshop facilities and an inspirational teacher you will begin to make saleable work in six months or so. Don't be disheartened, but don't underestimate what it takes either. Kind Regards, Dennis.

Hi Dennis, thanks for your reply. I know its going to be a long slog and I don't expect to learn by correspondence. Thats why I was wandering if anyone lived near me who I can collaborate with. In the past I bought expensive equipment for projects which are now stored in the loft. I don't want to kit out with expensive equipment just yet as I don't know whats what. Regarding cold enamelling, I have found a very precise way to dispense resin using lab equipment. I also use a computerised cutter to cut out precise shapes on paper and films for making badges. So if anyone was to show me some of their soldering skills etc, I might also have something useful to share with them...