Thread: Soldering problems

Default Soldering problems

Can anyone tell me where i am going wrong?
    I am trying to finish a wonderful <ahem> 3 dimensional wing shaped brooch.
    I have managed to solder the 'feathers' onto the base, both of which consist of thin (1mm?) silver.
    But when i try and solder a thicker strip of silver (4mm) it just won't stick! the solder won't flow at all. Is it because i am trying to stick together metal of different thickness, so its not heating through at the same rate? if so what can i do about it? everyhtin else seems okay - enough solder + flux and everything nicely cleaned....

Ideas??

What torch are you using? It'll take a fair bit of heat to get 4mm up to temperature.

If you have not done so already, look at this below and as George suggests, get a bigger torch so as to achieve soldering temperature. Kind regards, Dennis.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot...html#post39487

many thanks for the advice. i think my torch was too small, so have ordered a PT-500 from CPC website.

Dear TB.

It is not immediately apparent what size brooch you are making, but it seems that you have already tried a mini-torch using lighter gas and that this has failed to deliver enough heat.

I am worried that you have now ordered more of the same. Regardless of claims as to the flame temperature, the heat a torch can deliver is related to the size of the burner (nozzle if you like) and the type of gas used ( in this case butane). To achieve additional heat with a hand held torch you should look at those which have ready-filled canisters of a propane/butane mix. They are available from ironmongers and DIY stores and are meant for small plumbing jobs. You will see one illustrated at the end of my post ‘Help With Soldering’, referred to in my first reply above.

However all is not necessarily lost. For a smallish brooch you might be able to manage with both torches used simultaneously like an old time sheriff, especially if you also build a chamber as I have shown in order to retain the heat. But reduce the air holes slightly and keep the flames moving around, to avoid melting something delicate. Also work in semi darkness so that you can avoid inadvertantly overheating any part.

Please let us know how you get on. Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-02-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Additional precautions.