Thread: Bullet Cabochons

Default Bullet Cabochons

Would anybody be able to let me know or recommend a good supplier of bullet cabochons - thank you. Louise

Dear louise,
    Most suppliers have them, but I get mine from AE Ward & Sons. Forgive me if you know this already, but they are extremely tricky to set because treated like other cabs they will always wobble. Rather than teach you to suck eggs, let me know if you want me to say more. kind regards, Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, I have not set them before so please say more any tips would be appreciated, thank you Louise

Well you will have gathered that it is difficult to set them firmly enough, partly because the slope is straighter and more gentle than with short rounded stones and partly because the bullet point acts as a lever to quickly loosen it again with use. You will read of many remedies and I hope the members will come up with good ones. Here are some to start:

1. Make the rub-over collet taller than usual, to grip about a third of the length of the stone. If this looks too plain to you, the base of the collet can be given a twisted wire decoration, or the edge can have scallops.

2. Using a diamond point on your motor, make a shallow groove around the stone just below the top of the collet to push the metal into.

3. Or failing that, Apply a little Slow Setting two part epoxy, such as Araldite inside the collet with the end of a saw blade before setting the stone normally. Wipe away any surplus, but then leave it all undisturbed for the recommended setting time. Let us Know how you get on, Dennis.