Thread: Etching Silver - How do I get a sharp image?

Default Etching Silver - How do I get a sharp image?

Hello all,

I'd really like some advice on acid etching silver. I have tried it once before using PCB paper (the blue toner transfer paper stuff to give it its technical name!) and the result I got, while recogniseable was quite fuzzy around the edges (where the acid had bubbled)

Ideally, I would like to try this technique again with a relatively detailed design and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to achieve a sharper, less message image? I am etching onto 1mm thick silver sheet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Ruth

Dear Ruth, I presume you are referring to PnP.
    If The metal was properly degreased and the iron was hot enough, then what springs to mind is that your etching was taking place too fast and you can slow it down with weaker acid. Also disperse any bubbles regularly by stroking lightly with a feather.

However you need to be well practiced to achieve detailed results using this method. A better option might be to investigate photo etching using photo-sensitive film, but you need some darkroom equipment for this.

Lastly, If you have lots to do, you can get perfection by sending it to professional etchers. They can even get a three-D effect, or etch right through to create small figures, animals and other objects. But this is expensive unless you can share with friends.

For the moment I would say, do not have too ambitious a design, so that a few missing bits will not be noticed. Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-02-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Thank you for your reply Dennis,

I have very little experience of this so your advice is extremely helpful. It is indeed PnP I am talking about (I think it was called Printed bircuit board paper where I bought it which is where PCB came from!)

I will try using weaker acid and trying to brush off the bubbles as you suggested, I think this will help. I'm only trying things out at the minute - it's just a hobby so don't want to go to too much expense.

I think I'll keep the designs as simple as possible and practise!

Thanks again, kind regards,

Ruth