Thread: Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Question Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Help,
    I need advice on an Ultrasonic Cleaner. I no longer make as many Silver and Gold pieces as I used to. I am a Hobbiest silversmith who in the past just dipped the silver pieces I made into an acid bath to clean them. I have not made any for about 8 years.( I made the silver mountings for Scottish Highland Dirks and scabbards) (Daggers Worn with the Kilt).
    I have to make some now and I understand that their are many Ultrasonic Baths on the market and on Ebay. I do not want to spend a lot of money on one as it will only be used on a very few occassions now as I am 75 + and have lost the old energy and drive I had .
    Can anyone recommend a small portable unit that will clean my pieces of the flux etc
    once they are soldered. Cookies Pickling units are beyond my pocket now. Thank you Blackbear.

I'm afraid an ultrasonic bath isn't going to help clean the flux off - you'll need a pickle (preferably warm) for that; they do excel at cleaning polishing compounds off though. Aldi have one at about £20 this week, I believe.

I'd love to hear more about the mountings you made though; I've got a bar of pattern welded steel that is destined to become a couple of sghian dubhs when I have the time.

Blackbear, I (and many others) use a small slow cooker (crockpot) as a pickle bath rather than an expensive unit. Mine cost less than £10, and they're often to be found on offer on Amazon or Argos, or at local supermarkets.

Tesco have one at £12 at the moment.

Hello ps Bond,
    Firstly thank you for the info. My previous bath was just an old plastic petrol can cut in half. You have put me on the right track and the others have suggested a slow cooker ? with Saftey Pickle . I will investigate this and thank you all for the advice and input.
    In regards to the Mountings if you give me an email I will attach some pictures you can peruse. I dont use this site very often and I dont know how to attach Photos.
    If you have a moment to explain how to do this I will endeavour to let you have them Via this forum. If you are into blades one of my sgian dhus has a Damascus
    steel blade fitted to a Walnut carved otter hilt and mounted with silver. I have a 13 inch Damascus Steel dirk blade that I have to Carve a Hilt for. I just need to cast off the
    lethargy that attacks in old age and get on with great pleasure it always gives me creating something beautiful from earth born materials. Argento, Oak wood, leather and metal. Anyway Thank you again Regards Blackbear

Blackbear: I just purchased a ultrasonic off ebay along with some sea clean Liquid a few weeks ago and it's brill, I must be the only person on the planet who actually polishes and not tumbles my jewellery (It can't be true) so i have quite a lot of polishing compound to remove.

I begin with warm water and fairy liquid to remove most of the residue and a gentle prod with a shaving brush after the machine finishes the cycle, and then i change the solution to the ultrasonic cleaner and they come out sparkling.

Oh yes !! I use a saftey pickle after soldering, this is a coffee maker from Argos £7.50 with the top cut off and i just mix the solution in the jug.

Regards Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Hello Moon Willow, (Carlton),
    I have taken note of your information and I have purchased a Cookworks coffee maker from Argos yesterday. 7.49.
    I have had a look at it and I intend to adjust it to suit. From what you said you just cut off the top. On page 2 of the instructions it displays the diagram
    with the numbered parts . Can you confirm that you cut the back water tank and Front coffee tank off at the line shown between No 4 the rear tank and No 5 the switch.????
    I think it will do the job admirably and the jug is big enough for my purposes.
    2ndly. Can you name the Ultrasonic tank you bought from Ebay. or is that not allowed on this forum.
    Thank you Blackbear

Hi Blackbear

So you've been saving your pennies have taken the plunge, ha ha ha, the raised part of the coffee maker along with the overhang was cut off roughly half way up ( hacksaw will do) I then glued a piece of thick plastic across the top to re-seal it (stop water getting into the electrics) and there you have it.

The ultrasonic was from ebay search for "ultrasonic cleaners" and it's the Ultra 7000 new pro and it works for me (I always use warm water)

Kind Regards
    Carlton

Hello Moon Willow,
    Brillant Thank you for the further information. It just confirms what I thought I would do. Regards Blackbear.

Default Ultrasonic cleaner

Arrrrrrh I just seen a ultrasonic cleaner in Aldi for £20.00 today, I paid over £30.00 for it on ebay, they get the job done.

Carlton