Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This A Copy ?

Default Is This A Copy ?

I am attracted to long fussy chains, so when I saw a lady wearing one on the bus during the summer, I got out my notebook and made a rough sketch. Sadly I knew that as no one in my circle is a power dresser, they would prefer a shorter version, to conform to their neckline. That also would make it less fussy.

When I came to start on this project in November, my memory had faded and my sketch was not strong on detail. But I’d noted that there was a tube like element on one side, split to reveal a gemstone and that the metal had been blackened. For the rest I opted for a random series of cog like units made from rectangular and square wire. To connect them I experimented with large jump rings made from very thin wire, twisted to make the links. The final length was 42.0cm, with an added extension chain of 5.5cm.

All this was made of sterling silver, but from the central pendant I hung lots of tube settings, made to fan out by soldering them to stainless steel wires. Except for the bullet on the extension chain, the stones were garnet cabochons and in the absence of anything strong enough to push on, the tubes were closed with modified pliers. But before setting the stones, I blackened the silver using Platinol diluted with water, so that the colour could develop slowly for a better finish.

If the designer of the original chain were to spot this, they might have a twinge of recognition, so is this a copy? Dennis.

Below: Sketch On A Bus.
    Plan With Link Twisting Tools.
    Twisting The Links.
    Cog Necklace Detail.
    Cog Necklace.

Oh WOW!!!!

That's fantastic - I'm sure its unique enough that the term "copy" isn't correct - "inspired by" maybe.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Whatever it is, I love it

Ditto !!!!!
    Jane,
    (although I quite like Sunny!)

It's lovely Dennis, copy or not!! Can I ask how you have got the different effects on the cogs please?
    By the way, love the link twisting tool!

Many thanks
    Tabby

I love seeing all the planning too - great work Dennis & I'm sure
    the original was inspiration only
    nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Thank you. I could not think of a way to use bought chain for this, so I think the links worked out quite well. The notches were started with saw cuts and then filed with needle files.

Knowing I would blacken it, I was rather cavalier about the solder joints beginning to show on reheating . You will note that one shows on the left as photos are your worst critic.

I really posted this hoping that someone might take up some of the ideas and build on them.
    Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, the cogs are very effective. I'm struggling to see your cavalier bit of soldering!!

Can I ask, do you always draw out so exactly what you are going to make??

The reason I ask is that I haven't been taught to be so thorough and I think some of my work could benefit from this. I often undertake the first stage, but then keep sketching until I'm happy with my sketch (size, shape, etc.), define some more definitive lines to create a paper pattern which I cut out with a scalpel and transfer to the silver by first blackening the silver with permanent marker and then outlining the pieces of the pattern with a scribe (I have also glued the pattern onto the sheet in the past but this only alows single use!).

The patterns obviously only have a very limited life, I try now to keep a master, but didn't early on.

Any advice would be most appreciated

What do others do??

Tabby