Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first bits n pieces

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Question My first bits n pieces

I would appreciate some thoughts on the following attempts, the first one, bottle and grapes were carved and cast in silver then attached to a chain to make cufflinks, the second is a larger set of grapes for a pendant again carved by me (cast by Vipa in Melton Mowbray). Next is a medieval dog carving, this took a couple of goes, it is the logo from my old rugby club in Leicester, I carved a rugby ball for this set too. Next is a fiddle at making a bracelet with silver wire and Amazonite beads, finally the last are ear rings made from chain linking jumprings, attaching a flatened elongated link and then attaching a Lapis bead. All of this is trying to learn my new trade, just need a way of selling but as I said would appreciate the thoughts of the forum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1346.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	2668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1430.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	2669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1166.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	2670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1186.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	2671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1201.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	2672

Nice pieces of work there. I especially like the last two - but then I would since beads and wire is what I love too.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

The earrings are lovely I especially like the use of the small piece of maille, it just makes them extra special. The bottle motif on the cufflinks is another inspired touch :0)

I so loved the flow of that bracelet that I just want it to be perfect! The wire-wrapping is beautifully done, but it moves in a different way to the flow of the beads... this is something that could really end up as a very special signature piece!

I also liked the way the drop earrings use the mail to create a sense of weight... I wonder if slightly larger beads would increase that subconsciously and add to the wow-factor. Even the elongated ovals at the top give a sense of weight and tension...

I have to agree, that bracelet is gorgeous!! The design and flow is beautiful. I like the way the earrings are constructed using the mail too.

I think Joe may be right about the flow of the beads on the bracelet though. I keep looking back at it and once it's caught your eye you keep noticing it, I think it may detract from the piece. What do you think, looking at it for real??

Keep it up!
    Tabby

Ha well, that's what the forum is all about. For me the dog cufflink appeals most and if you could find five more subjects like that you would have a very professional range. I like your drop earrings, but the bought in findings are inappropriate and let them down badly. Either devise your own hammered earwires to flow with your drops, or hang them by jump rings, from small blue studs with posts.

To expand your vision, look at lots of books including: 'Jewellery Design, The Artists Reference,By Elizabeth Olver' and visit lots of craft fairs and galleries. Hope you do well, Dennis.

I now want that book badly Dennis, but £182 from Amazon!! I may have to content myself with Untracht!

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Many thanks for the kind and constructive comments. With regard to the dog, I have done some U arm cufflinks, a pendant/charm and lapel pins, they have yet to go on Birstall Rugby website. The lapis ear rings were constructed by forming a ball on some wire and then wire wrapping, the jumprings were made over a 7mm mandrel from Argentium, the elongated loops the same but flattened through the mill but Dennis, yes the earwires were Cooksons own, I have made a bracelet and necklace too but have used larger lapis for these. The bracelet is one of three I made trying to get it right, I can see what you mean with the flow of the wire, I will have another look at it and try again. I don't know how to put more pictures in the quick reply but I will post a few more pictures of the other bits I made, the comments really were and are inspirational, many thanks to you all. Stop press, managed to add pictures, the bangle is a smaller diameter and with Lapis, the red stones are Carnelian, and the bit of mail was a bit of fun, had to solder three of the rings on to a bar in order for it to hang nicely, the Aventurine pear drop was an afterthought but as a piece my wife says it doesn't work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1199.jpg   DSCF1197.jpg   DSCF1268.jpg   DSCF1272.jpg   DSCF1277.jpg  

Last edited by bruggen; 19-01-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Addition of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I now want that book badly Dennis, but £182 from Amazon!! I may have to content myself with Untracht!
    Joe, the book I meant is more modest. Mine is the USA version, there is probably a UK one too. Kind regards, Dennis.

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Design.../dp/1581800940
    Last edited by Dennis; 19-01-2011 at 05:18 PM.