Thread: Help! I need to ask the Experts!!! (Bangles)

Default Help! I need to ask the Experts!!! (Bangles)

Hi there.

I was wondering if you could help me out in a big way. I have my mothers 60th (+ retirement) coming up and my siblings and I have decided to get her a collection of simple round wire silver bangles for her to jangle, Originally from tiffany etc.
    But for Christmas I was a very lucky girl and was given a bangle mandrel!! So we decided it would be even cooler if i were to make them...Problem being I have only ever made one bangle and that was over a year ago. I think I remember it being much like making a big ring but I don't want to waste silver playing.
    Could somebody please give me a crash course or point me in the right direction where I could find info needed. (Need to have them done amongst orders by the 5th!!!!... So no pressure there )

Big Fat Thank you's
    Hannah
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

Hello Hannah, I used this youtube video from Andrew Berry to help me make my first bangle (the second half where he actually makes the thing not the first bit where he prepares his metal). Although he is using gold the principals are the same for silver wire. This along with the general advice that the most important thing is to get the join absolutely true before soldering so that there are no gaps, hold it up to the light and make sure you can see no light where the two edges meet.

It is as you say just like making a large ring. I do not have a bangle mandrell so used a wooden rolling pin to true up the shape :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafUDNJ2ATg

Hi Hannah, Here are some tips, first decide on your wire length for the bangles, use a length of binding wire around a wrist or such like to get the correct bangle wire length. Then cut your bangle lengths and file the wire ends flat before bending them roughly around your mandrel. Then I would use a clamping method to hold the bangle ends together for soldering, I make my own clamps from stainless steel but you could use steel split pins as clamps. I also pierced a steel X as a clamping support, this method makes soldering the bangles easier, the photos show my method of clamping. When soldered and the solder joints cleaned, then you can use your bangle mandrel and a flat steel plate to true up the bangles before polishing. I hope this all makes sense.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82 Clamps and X plate.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	2640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83 Clamping a bangle shape.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	2641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84 Clamping a bangle shape.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	2642

Hannah, Your biggest problem will be solved if you have a big enough torch. Then make the first one out of something cheap like copper. Lastly, if you have not done so before, search 'Bangles' on this forum and read this: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot...html#post39487 Happy New Year, Dennis.

Hi Hannah,
    I've got a post on my blog (http://daisychaindesignsjewellery.bl...e-bangles.html) that started out as a "this is what I made today" and ended up as a guide to making silver bangles, complete with photos. It should help - I refer my students to it all the time so I'm glad I wrote it now!
    Good luck, and have fun!
    Jo
    Jo
    Daisychain Jewellery - Handcrafted sterling silver jewellery and jewellery tuition
    www.daisychainjewellery.co.uk
    www.daisychaindesignsjewellery.blogspot.com

James

Is there a reason why your pierced steel "X" has holes in it? I am having trouble soldering a 3mm square wire bangle - it keeps moving, despite being a good join. My first attempt the join just moved apart as I heated it and the solder fell through; the second time I tried binding wire to hold it, but although it did solder, the metal moved front to back and I had to saw through and start again. Third attempt I tried two lots of binding wire putting the second at right angles to the first. Again, no problem soldering it, but it moved worse than before - about 1mm front to back.

So am going to make some clamps like yours but are the holes necessary or can I make it without.

Thanks

Susie, The holes in the X were for a special job and not necessary.
    Another tip for you, when soldering a thick wire bangle, heat the area of the bangle opposite the join first as this can stop the bangle joint opening. To be technical when you heat metal it expands a little and this can open a joint so if you heat the area opposite the joint this can keep the joint closed. If I was soldering a 3mm square bangle I would use a thick binding wire, tied around the circumference of the bangle to hold it together for soldering, the clamping method is really for thin wire bangles that will not allow using binding wire.
    James

Thanks James. I did use binding wire but was probably rushing it a bit. I know I need to use it doubled, but would you just use one wrap of binding wire, or multiple wraps in different places around the circumference?

S

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Thanks James. I did use binding wire but was probably rushing it a bit. I know I need to use it doubled, but would you just use one wrap of binding wire, or multiple wraps in different places around the circumference?

S
    Susie, on a 3mm square bangle I would use one length of Cooksons thickest 0.65mm iron binding wire, wrapped around the circumference and then twisted together at the ends with flat pliers to tighten the wire around the bangle and pull the solder joint together. One tip is to cut a length of binding wire from the reel, grip one end in a vise and then grip the other end in some pliers and gently pull it straight and it will stretch slightly and give you a length of straight wire to wrap neatly around the bangle.
    James