Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hallmarking....?

Default hallmarking....?

Feeling an obligation to hallmark items...anyone one got any advice, please.

Hi, I think this is going to be a subject that's going to get a lot of feedback, I'm just in the process of registring my company at the Birmingham assay office, £60 plus vat, the punch cost £70 plus vat for up to 2 initials and I think a laser mark is £50 extra .......gulp !!! then you need to re-register every 5 years.

If you go to their web site they have got some useful information,
    Illegal to sell gold without an hallmark, silver above a few grams should be hallmarked, your customer is happy that the metal is what you claim it is (most haven't a clue how to read a hallmark)

A friend of mine (ex director of jewellery company) told me that clients have tracked him down through the hallmark on his jewels.

Kind Regards Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Whoops ... that should read "registering"
    Carlton

How do you describe unhallmarked silver items with a view to selling? "White metal"? Finding the hallmarking rules and regulations a little bit tricky so am considering hallmarking everything, where appropriate...considerations allowing. Just need to find out how one is supposed to describe silver when not being allowed to describe it as silver unless hallmarked as such....
    Last edited by noname; 17-01-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Felt further explanation needed.

It's sterling silver, or .925 or fine silver if you're using the oh soooooo expensive clay, you can buy a .925 punch up off ebay £6.95

Carlton

Unless non-hallmarked silver items that are under the weight limit then you are only permitted to sell them as "white metal". It is not OK to describe them as Silver.
    Lucinda

If a piece of silver is 7.78 gms or over it needs a hallmark, if it doesn't carry a hallmark you must call it "White metal" under that weight it's okay to call it silver or punch it .925, which is very interesting because a C.B.E, M.B.E and O.B.E's are all over the weight limit and they are not hallmarked and for the last 40 years I've described them as silver to St Jame's Palace, mmmmmmmmmmm I reckon the Queen is breaking the law !!!

But Agent 44 is correct I've just phoned Birmingham assay office to confirm.

Kind Regards
    Carlton

Have not submitted work for hallmarking since the recent legislation introduced. So am I to understand that the correct term for unhallmarked items is "White Metal", and that this is the correct description to use on paperwork..delivery notes...invoices...etc?

I have just registered and got the documentation back as now having my makers mark etc, but I haven't as yet submitted anything for Hallmarking.
    I understand that any silver over 7.78 gms has to be hallmarked, but in such as a pair of earrings, is that per earring or combined weight?
    Also anyone got any tips for packing items, obviously they need to be well packed but don't want to cause problems at the Assay office either.

Thanks,

Louise

On the positive side, it's per earring! On the negative, both earrings need to be individually hallmarked if heavy enough. The same is true for cuff links, pendant with removable chain etc...

I would love to know what others do about packaging for hallmarking - my attempts seem a bit crude!