Thread: Oak leaf and acorn brooch

Default Oak leaf and acorn brooch

Hi,

Here's my latest work. Its a real oak leaf and acorn. I have preserved them in copper. I then painted the acorn with gold paint. I finished the acorn shell and leaf with a brown patina. Finally adding a lacquer to preserve the colours.

This has come out really well as I have been working on my methods I just came up with the idea of adding the acorn there and think that it really works.

The pendant has a normal backing for chains, ribbons etc. I haven't decided whats going to complete it yet. Any ideas welcome. I haven't set a price yet. Just really pleased with the work as its taken months of problem solving to get this level of quality.

The pic isn't great but I wanted to share my work!

Very nice. When you say "preserved them in copper", do you mean electroformed? How did you do it? Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Yes its a form of electro-deposition
    Its taken me quite a while to get it right but just about got it now. So I can play and experiment. I want to be selling them to recuperate costs but drawing a blank as to how to go forward. Any ideas from yourself or other experienced member would be very appreciated.

Sorry, I'm not the right person to ask, but what not to do is pay anyone any money up front. Our members have been selling their socks off for the last month, but I hope someone will come forward with suggestions. In the mean time it might help to list what you have done so far.
    Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-01-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Its a lovely piece and an inspiring technique - thanks for sharing

Happy Making

Jessica x