Thread: Is Silver Dip Safe for Gold Plated Silver?

Question Is Silver Dip Safe for Gold Plated Silver?

Hello all,

A couple of years ago I made a silver necklace in which some elements are plain silver, some are 18ct gold plated (2 microns), and some are oxidised (using Platinol). The silver-coloured parts are now quite heavily tarnished and I'd like to clean them. I've considered just cleaning the tarnished parts with a silver cloth, but it's such an intricate design and so easily tangled that this would take ages to do. I'm wondering about using Silver Dip on the whole piece, but fear what this might do to the gold plated parts. Has anyone tried using Silver Dip on gold plating? How did it work out?

Best regards,
    Nina

Hi Nina : 2 microns of gold plate is heavy duty and in my experience it would take more than silver dip to shift that, but as for the platinol parts you need to be careful, the dip will remove this. I'm certain you're going to get lots of ideas throughout the day about cleaning but a golden rule I use is try it on a small part of your piece first and see what happens.

Regards Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Thanks for your reply, Carlton. You're right, I do need to do some tests first.

If anyone has actually tried putting a gold plated piece in Silver Dip, I'd still be very interested to hear about it

Best regards,
    Nina

Nina: I've actually put gold plated jewellery into cyanide to remove tarnish and then lightly scratch brushed them with a brass wheel and running soapy water, I've re-soldered 2 micron plated jewels and most of the plate stayed on !! silver dip mmmmmmmm the experts will no doubt be around tomorrow I'll be interested to see their angle on the subject.
    Best Regards
    Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true