Thread: Vibratory tumbling help

Default Vibratory tumbling help

Hi All

I have some small brass parts which need scratches removed and then polished.

I have tried walnut with rouge and left them in for 15 hours but the was hardly any noticeable change - I have heard stainless steel media could work but don't want to buy it and find out it is no good so I thought I would ask the experts what best to use.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I use the following vibratory finishing media from Gesswein to remove fine scratches from items, similar cones can be purchased from Walshes but I haven't tried these I'm afraid:

http://www.gesswein.com/catalog/cata...FTOKEN=6592490

http://www.hswalsh.com/Ceramic_Chips...?i=TB951&t=132

this will create a uniform matte finish and then I tumble the pieces with steel shot to create a shiny polished finish, I use the walnut with rouge as the final finishing stage to impart a high shine on the piece.

Hi Lisa
    Thanks for the reply - I think I am starting of too fine.
    I read that you add water to the steel shot is this right?

Ian

I have some of those, but green. I couldn't however, get any results. I have a rotary tumbler. So may be they are more effective in a vibratory one.

I'm sure I replyed earlier seems to not have appeared.

Anyway many thanks for that - can't seen to find the plastic cones in the UK that second link is for ceramic and I've heard it might be a bit hard on small items. Can anyone point me to an online shop that sells the plastic cones?

I have found suppliers but only by the 25kg bag

Thanks Ian

Last July my students asked me about polishing and in a nut shell this is the results of a few hours of experiments:

Barrelling machine will get jump rings quite shiny but leaves large surfaces a bright matt.

Magnetic polishing will leave the jump rings sparkling, large surfaces bright matt,

The polishing motor (mops and compound) really finishes your jewellery with the highest shine.

In my workshop to polish jump rings I use a kiddies rock tumbler with magnetic pins, water and fairy liquid the rings come out sparkling.

Just for good measure if you don't want to get your hands dirty try the Micro polishing cloths from Sutton Tools

Regards Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true