Thread: Stuck Drill Bit

Default Stuck Drill Bit

Hi,

I have been making one of my rings today and needed to drill a tiny hole. The drill bit I was using is 0.5mm in the metal thickness of 2mm. Unfortunately, in the middle of drilling the last hole the drill bit snapped and a bit of it is stuck in the metal. I have had that happen once before and I last time it came out easily, but this time it wouldn't move. I have tried pulling on the tiny end sticking out with fine tweezers and pliers and tried freezing in the hope that the metal would contract and the bit easier to pull out. But nothing helps. Please, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Lilia

Assuming it's steel, it will dissolve out with a saturated solution of alum.

Thanks Peter,

Where would I be able to buy it?

EBay is one possibility; I used to get mine from a helpful chemist (not sure if they will still carry things like that, despite it being relatively innocuous).

Lilia - I buy mine from these guys. The spice works and delivery is pretty fast.
    Emma

lots of online chemists carry it. I use it instead of safety pickle. http://www.oneclickpharmacy.co.uk/me...er-p-1251.html

You can also buy it from many middle eastern and far eastern grocery stores - it's used as a veg pickle ingredient as well

Thanks guys! I have bought it on eBay (after rushing out to the local Chemist, who doesn't stock it :-( )

George,

You say you use it as pickle, does it remove firescale well and easily and does it work on gold?