Thread: Confusing Cost With Value.

Default Confusing Cost With Value.

Here is my first effort of the year, a patinated necklace for someone who chose Labradorite and requested not too much bling.

My chain links are made from twisted 9.0mm jump rings as shown in another post. The extension chain has textured links and I usually buy it from Bellore. But they are still stock-taking with no end date in view, so I settled down to make my own version from a single strand of tightly twisted 0.6mm square wire , one end clamped in a vice and the other turned with a hand drill.

It is going to be sent abroad by Royal Mail International Signed For. The ticket talks about compensation in case of loss, but the only compensation that I would want is for someone at Royal Mail to make me another one. The counter clerk said that in any case, to claim for loss you would need to produce a shop receipt or, failing that, a jeweller’s valuation. Not much hope then. An example of confusing cost with value. Dennis.

20 Km out side Mareeba in Far Nth Queensland

It is lovely Dennis. I do agree with the cost vs value bit. Such a difference in many cases.
    Cheers
    Judy

It's beautiful Dennis. Fingers crossed it reaches its destination safely.

I had my first "taste" of jumprings over the holiday - bought some ready-made ones to practice on and the little beggars just kept slipping out of my pliers as I tried to twist them open! Anyway, back to class tomorrow so I will ask to be shown how to do it properly.

I didn't realise Bellore was still closed for stocktaking - they were closed for stocktaking before Christmas and I ended up queueing for best part of an hour in Cookies instead.

Dennis - beautiful as always! Can I ask where your post is on how you made the links, as I can't seem to find it?

You clearly have a lot of patience as well as skill :-)

I love Royal Mail. I sent something by recorded signed for once, that got lost. Then they lost the claim form I sent in (along with the original postage receipt which was required to make the claim). I resorted to re-making the item!
    Emma

Quote: 'you have a lot of patience'. It's a passtime, like knitting.

Dear Emma,
    One of my best friends is an old box of cheap twist drills, going up from 1.5 to 13.0mm. they are not much use for drilling, but the shanks give me all the mandrels I need for making jump rings.

The previous post referred to for twisting 9.0 mm jump rings is here: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...3299-copy.html

The adjustment chain was made from round jump rings using a 3.5mm mandrel. Once soldered they were gently squeezed so that the joins were always halfway along one side of a near oval. Finally the finished chain was pulled to stretch it and even up the links. Kind regards, Dennis.

Beautiful.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/