Thread: Should I rent a cabinet?

Default Should I rent a cabinet?

Hi, I just wondered if anyone has any experience of renting a cabinet in an establishment to sell their jewellery. I visited a craft and antiques place yesterday that I've been to many times before which is a collection of 'emporiums' but this time they had a sign with a number to contact to rent a cabinet so I scribbled the details down.

It's a bit of a quirky place with some of the antiques stuff looking like tut but maybe that's because I don't know what to look for but there's some really decent stuff in there too. There are loads of individual cabinets all over the 'emporiums' and they are always full. It amazes me how it keeps going but as they've got a huge car park they must do well.

Does anyone have any experience of rental prices or words of wisdom? I'm waiting for a call back from the guy who coordinates the cabinets but the initial information I've been told is that the rent is £50/month with a minimum 6 month contract. There's a particular emporium I want to be in if I do go ahead which is on the way to the restaurant but is also with other (mostly second hand/antique) jewellery displays. There are only a few other handcraft jewellery displays but they are very different to what I'd be doing. The cabinet is about 5 foot tall and 30cm wide.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Fi
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

Hi Fi,

Judging from your location, I'm fairly sure that I've been to the establishment you're referring to. It really is a mix!! As you first enter the main venue (with the cafe at the rear) there are a number of nice jewellery cabinets, of (and I am guessing) of various manufacturing sources. There is some lovely stuff there, but as you say some less good stuff too, particularly if you aren't in one of the front rooms and as you get further back it is a real mix of antiques and quality.

From what I've seen the foot fall is fairly high and coaches seem to be there whenever I've been (3-4 times in about 6 years). The age group is mostly the retired I think, particularly in the week. I'm not sure how much cash changes hands?? If you can get into the front area it may be worth it!

Good luck!
    Tabby

Ha ha, Tabby - you're a bit psychic!!!! Spot on with the venue! I managed to speak to the owner yesterday evening and he kept insisting that it would be better for me to meet him and that he was sure they could find me somewhere. Unfortunately, the 'emporium' he suggested was one of the furthest away, right at the back of the grounds, and is one of the bigger rooms but it's absolutely full of tat which are supposed to be antiques. Think I'll give it a wide berth for the time being but I'd be interested to know of the other forum members' experiences with hiring cabinets and spaces at galleries/shops/craft venues.

Fi
    Fi Wilson
    Flickr

Its £300 for a minimum commitment. Could you get better VFM (Value for Money) elsewhere?

Hi Fi, I also rent a cabinet locally in an 'Antiques' arcade (Hungerford) and up to Christmas I was doing ok with a good turnover of items, but sales generally are very slow at the moment. (I also have a shop on Folksy & Etsy.)
    My cabinet costs £85/month with an extra 40p for debit card payments and 4% for credit cards. But I like having it because I can try out new designs and touch wood, they eventually sell. I also make sure potential buyers aware that everything is designed and made by me (and I present the more expensive items in a quality box (from Cooksons). It's a funny time at the moment for sellers, but I am sure that when the economy picks up we will all be appreciated again.
    I would go for it if I were you because it does get your name out there and word of mouth is a great way to sell.
    Good luck
    Theresa