Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Attempts at Etching

Default My First Attempts at Etching

Hi

I thought I'd share my attempts...

I used a simple saltwater solution and connected it to a battery, a Sharpie was used as the resist - these beads are the result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	2621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	2624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	2622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	2619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	2620

Each bead is approx 22mm, however, the necklace in incomplete - I need to remake the white spacers as these are just too fragile.

Comments welcomed

Indi
    Last edited by surfergirl; 24-12-2010 at 12:28 PM.

They are a beautiful sight Indi. I hope you will try some other applications, such as brooches and pendants. Someone who knits might be well pleased with
    bespoke buttons made for them too.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

20 Km out side Mareeba in Far Nth Queensland

They are beautiful Indi. I haven't done etching yet so I don't know how hard it is but you have really done a great job.
    Cheers
    Judy

Fab etching! This has a good result - I really need to try it as I have all the instructions!

I love your etched beads, i would like to hear more about how you did them as I havent heard of this method of etching but think it would be prefferable to having chemicals in the house. Also I know a lot of people use sharpies to stop out, but how do you remove it afterwards? Sorry if these are daft questions but I'm intrigued
    Wendy

Thanks for all your comments. I enjoyed making these and am thinking about other applications – some good suggestions there, Dennis.

Judy – I’m not sure how hard etching is. If the process I did is all there is to it then it’s not hard at all!! There are quite a few variations to the method of etching - some being more complex than others.

Wendy – I used a brass brush with washing up liquid and water to remove the Sharpie though a scourer would also work. I’ve outlined what I did below.

TOOLS/MATERIALS
    6v lantern battery
    2x 500mm lengths of 0.4g copper wire – doubled
    2x small foldback/bulldog clips
    10 x large (70mm long) paperclips, 1 annealed
    Empty, clean coffee jar
    Table salt
    Tap water
    Black Sharpie Permanent Marker
    Brass brush
    Washing up liquid
    0.3g copper sheet
    Latex gloves
    Green washing up scourer
    Sellotape
    Blutack

SETTING UP
    Straightened the annealed paperclip and used it to wrap around the other 9 to make a bundle. I left the bend on the larger end so this can be hooked onto the inside of the coffee jar. This is the cathode.

Filled the jar with enough water to sufficiently cover the piece of copper when placed upright. Added enough salt to the water so no more could be dissolved (I did this in stages rather than dumping a large amount in). This is the electrolyte.

Wrapped one end of the doubled copper wire around the ‘handle’ of one clip.; connected the other end to the positive (+) terminal on the battery. Do the same with the other wire and clip and attach to the negative (-) terminal. I just wrapped the wire around the springs a few times. Be sure not to allow the wires to touch each other as it could short the battery.

METHOD
    1. Cut copper sheet to correct size on 3 sides and left about 6mm - 10mm extra ‘waste’ copper on the remaining side. This is the anode.
    2. Washed and scrubbed copper clean with washing up liquid and scourer until water sheeted of it to ensure a clean surface. I did this to both sides of the sheet - if I messed up one side when drawing I could just flip it over. I handled the copper by the edges to dry it and from then on only with gloves on. Oil/dirt/snot can prevent the marker pen from adhering properly.
    3. Drew on design including a border around the image and let dry.
    4. Taped up the back of the piece. I didn’t tape the sides as the metal was so thin.
    5. Clipped the positive end to the ‘waste’ bit of copper on the piece and lowered into the electrolyte. Positioned the piece so that the clip was above the water line but the design (and some ‘waste’ copper) was submerged. I used a blob of blutack to fix the wire in place on the edge of the jar.
    6. Hooked the paperclips on the inside of the jar opposite the copper. Clipped the negative end to the paperclip hook.
    7. I left each piece to etch for about 40 minutes to an hour. I checked the depth of the etch after about 20 minutes.
    8. Removed tape, scrubbed off marker pen using brass brush and washing up liquid under running water.

Metal attached to the positive (+) end will be etched
    Metal attached to the negative (-) end will produce bubbles

The only item I purchased specifically was the battery and am quite pleased with how the etching turned out using these basic items.

OBSERVATIONS/NOTES
    Fine detail drawn on with the marker did start to come off mid etching. This could have been due to removing the piece when checking the etch depth but I had to do this as the electrolyte was too murky to see through. I patted the copper dry with a paper towel and applied the Sharpie again carefully. As the metal had been etched, it was easy to reapply using side of the pen nib.

After a few etchings, I strained the electrolyte through a paper towel and reused it.

I would most likely use a different resist if I wanted a deep etch on thicker metal.

If the metal was thicker I would have used tape on the front of the piece to create the border and folded it around the sides sticking the tape to the back to ensure the sides did not get etched away.

I ironed one of the designs (non steam iron, highest setting, placed copper in between a folded paper towel) to see if this would fix it further - I can’t be sure with my limited experiments to see if it made a difference.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope it helps - please feel free to ask any questions. I shall post an image of my set up as soon as I get a chance.

Google searches “saltwater etching” and “electro etching” or combinations of the two bring up some interesting pages, how-to’s and other experiments. There are also many different resists some giving quite accurate results (from what I’ve read not personal experience).

Indi

Thank you Indi, you're a sport posting all that. It will remain here as a valuable resource for everyone. Kind regards, Dennis.

thanks for that... so kind of you. I really want to have a go and without chemicals sounds perfect to me!
    Last edited by lynnm; 07-01-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: misspelling

Wow, I love them! These beads look gorgeous - great for your first time too

Happy Making

Jessica x