Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My First Attempts at Etching

That's 3 resists used there on the brass - a bog-standard Sharpie marker, an Uni paint pen and the more interesting pattern was P'n'P (although the adhesion wasn't fantastic, possibly because it has sat around a while after being printed). Saturated solution of salt water as the electrolyte, which made for a slower etch than on steel - but it still worked.

That's my weekend sorted (actually probably the weekend after). I'll let you know how it goes.
    Di x

I'll look forwards to seeing the results. Do remember it's giving off chlorine & hydrogen as it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I'll look forwards to seeing the results. Do remember it's giving off chlorine & hydrogen as it goes...
    hmmm... Still not as bad as the nitric though is it!
    Di x

Not by a long shot, no. One of the suggestions yesterday for etching silver was to use very dilute nitric - only a couple of %. That could work well for already-formed articles.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Not by a long shot, no. One of the suggestions yesterday for etching silver was to use very dilute nitric - only a couple of %. That could work well for already-formed articles.
    now that is interesting. It always grieves me that I spend time getting the impression just right, then I go and batter it!
    Di x

I get quite a good result on silver with ferric nitrate although like Di have been recently etching onto a (brass) plate with ferric chloride and using it through the mill as it's less wasteful on silver that way

Thanks for posting Indi, the beads look great. I had a go myself this weekend on copper and brass and was very pleased with the results for a first attempt. Hi Have two questions though:

1. Can you tell you tell us more about the filtering through kitchen paper for re-use of the solution? Is it literally just pouring it through a few sheets and re-using the electrolyte? And if so, how successful have you been?
    2. Chemically speaking, what exactly is the leftover solution? Most things I've read suggests that it would need to be disposed of via a hazardous chemicals service due to the copper salts, but right now I don't know what to tell them I need to get rid of.

Any ideas, anyone?