Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts?

Default What are your thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I've completed a couple of rings for Christmas and am easing myself back into to making when I am able to use my hands. I've got sketch books and head full of ideas that I want to complete and the more I do the more I will learn.

Let me know what you think, rings are my thing and I would love to be making and selling them.

Have a happy Christmas and New Year

SaraClick image for larger version. 

Name:	opal and quartz bubbles.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	2613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flush set triple stone.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	2614

These are very sweet. I love the colours and the foamy effect of the balls and round cabs. The sense of colour and shape in the gypsy set ring is very attractive. I would expect both of these to get lots of attention once you've mastered the technical side of implementing your fabulous ideas!

Love the design of the first pair of rings Sarah!

20 Km out side Mareeba in Far Nth Queensland

I love the second ring. I am into uncomplicated. Like the texture.
    Cheers
    Judy

I really like the design for the first - is it two rings or one? Bangles are my thing - I have fairly small fingers so shie away from chunky looking rings. I like the different sizes and textures of the stones you have chosen - the round opal and rose quartz work well together with the silver balls. I've not made silve balls yet - another thing to research!

Thanks for posting.

Its surprising how rusty I've become by not making anything for a few years, I definately need to practice more. Does anyone use nylon nosed pliers? I've been thinking of investing in some to prevent the metal being marked.

The first image are two separate rings, the shanks are 6mm wide so having a pair is only suitable for people with longer fingers. I am playing about with using smaller shot balls on a narrower shank. My parents have a wood burner stove so as an experiment I'm going to give them a tin can with ground charcoal and silver snippets inside, hopefully to make shot balls. It should be more efficient than using my gas torch as I don't have access to a small kiln. I have made bangles, a triangular shape out of wire, but not made any out of sheet just yet, its on the list of things to do!

Thanks for the comments

I seem to have quite contrasting ideas going on, I'm also playing about with recycling welsh slate by cutting and setting it with a chisel set bezel. I'll take some images and post them.

I do recommend having a play with some inexpensive nylon jaw pliers - I do use them sometimes but they are oddly slippery! You can also try slipping a bit of pvc tubing over one jaw of normal pliers to give you a non-marking side.

I do use a version of these Ring Bending Pliers, on recommendation from Dennis, who also suggested the tip of lining them with a scrap of leather to reduce marking.

I use tool magic on all my flat pliers - its brilliant for stuff like chain maille - it makes the pliers non-slip and prevents any marking

Where do you buy your toolmagic, Faith? I used to buy it from Palmer's, but last time I looked they didn't have it.

Plastidip is cheaper, and works in the same way as Tool Magic. And they also sell a thinners too

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/
    Dragonfly (Lynne)

http://www.thedragonflycompany.com

for all things chain maille - supplies, chain maille kits and tuition

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup!