Thread: Hallmarking questions from a thickie!

Default Hallmarking questions from a thickie!

Hello Folks

I have been making sterling silver earings for a couple of years and I have a question about hallmarking.

At the last (and only) craft fair I did, I was very carefull not to describe them as sterling silver. They all were sterling silver, but I had not had any of them hallmarked.

Frankly its a bit of a faff (and expensive) to get them hallmarked, and it would push the price up quite a bit.

Am I allowed to call them Sterling silver when i am selling them on my stand?
    Am I allowed to stamp them 925 and call them sterling silver?

I am assuming the official hallmarks will have other characters and will be different from a simple 925 stamp I can buy in Cooksons or similar?

I do this purely for fin. The ones I sell recoup the costs of my hobby bit I dont make a profit, but I would like to make them look a bit more professional if I can.

Peter

You are fine without hall marking if they weigh under 7.78g.Anything above this weight has to be marked.You can stamp under weight ones with a 925 yourself as long as you are sure they are sterling.
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Great. thanks for the reply.

Again another stupid question, is the 7.78g per ear ring or per pair?

Peter

that is an on going debate but at the moment it seems to be per earring as you can wear one earring at a time and not necessarily as a pair they are classed as two separate items . xx
    Bridget x x

Never be afraid to try something new,remember amateurs built the Ark,
    professionals built the Titanic!!!

http://www.rusticcharmjewellery.co.uk

Thanks for your help!

as above, yes you can describe and sell them as 925 silver as long as they are below the minimum weight for hallmarking but I am pretty sure that you are still obliged to display the Dealers Notice on your stall. It doesnt make any difference whether you are doing this as a hobby, making a profit or whatever, the rules are exactly the same.