I am attracted to long fussy chains, so when I saw a lady wearing one on the bus during the summer, I got out my notebook and made a rough sketch. Sadly I knew that as no one in my circle is a power dresser, they would prefer a shorter version, to conform to their neckline. That also would make it less fussy.

When I came to start on this project in November, my memory had faded and my sketch was not strong on detail. But I’d noted that there was a tube like element on one side, split to reveal a gemstone and that the metal had been blackened. For the rest I opted for a random series of cog like units made from rectangular and square wire. To connect them I experimented with large jump rings made from very thin wire, twisted to make the links. The final length was 42.0cm, with an added extension chain of 5.5cm.

All this was made of sterling silver, but from the central pendant I hung lots of tube settings, made to fan out by soldering them to stainless steel wires. Except for the bullet on the extension chain, the stones were garnet cabochons and in the absence of anything strong enough to push on, the tubes were closed with modified pliers. But before setting the stones, I blackened the silver using Platinol diluted with water, so that the colour could develop slowly for a better finish.

If the designer of the original chain were to spot this, they might have a twinge of recognition, so is this a copy? Dennis.

Below: Sketch On A Bus.
Plan With Link Twisting Tools.
Twisting The Links.
Cog Necklace Detail.
Cog Necklace.