Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Briolettes

Default Briolettes

On a whim ( a rather stupid one at that) I bought five ruby briolettes and I am now stuck as to how to set them. Having researched a little it seems my only option as they are undrilled is to set them with conical caps and glue, and would it be Devcon glue I should be looking at to buy?. They are only small 5.8 x 3.5/3.5mm.

I do not think I can drill them considering their hardness and the awkwardness of the shape for holding while drilling.

You could file a notch in them with a diamond file (a sapphire nail file might do it, not tried) and use the notch to give you something to set to? I think I'd probably want the glue as well, but more as a final security than the primary holder.

I think Cogswell has a similar method described for awkward shaped beads.

Thanks Peter, just looking at diamond files on Cooksons and Eternal, not sure what other uses they have so will have to look into it a bit more as to wether to get a single or a set.

Treat yourself to a diamond cutting disc and arbour from Eternal; http://www.eternaltools.com/drills-2...scs-and-arbors
    They can be used to grind a notch and are useful for many cutting jobs,I have used them many times for trimming agate slices and also small mirror glass, working in a small tray of water when cutting using a diamond disc in my flexshaft.
    James

The cutting discs are certainly faster - and I'm a definite fan of Eternal's diamond tooling.

It seems I may be able to use one of the diamond burrs I already have, and as there are five stones, there is one to I can, dare I say practice on, leaving the other two pairs till I know I can get it right.

I knew how big they were when I bought them or at least I knew they were small but arghhhhh when they arrived ........... having used a combination of the technique our George told me about and some thoughts of my own, and, I have to admit a touch of glue just in case I can safely say the rest will sit in my stock to be admired for the little jewels they are never to be set :0)

Essentially, filed a shallow groove in the stone more of dent really, and made the little cap from fine silver, soldering on 3 tiny balls to the inside, pushed the cap on and as it "clicked" (though that is an exaggeration being the stones are so small I think it was more wishful thinking), let a drop of glue seep down the sides (the top of the cap being open).

However the technique will be very useful on a pair of larimar briolette shaped stones I have (not faceted) which are of a more manageable size.

Too much of a faff by kwant, on Flickr

propelling pencil to give some idea of scale :0)

What a pretty end result though

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

totally agree with George. Very pretty!

Pretty much took all day but here are the Larimar briolette shaped stones set in "anitgravity" bezels as suggested by George. At 17mm x 7mm they were more manageable than the tiny rubies. Not perfect, but it is really not an easy technique, well at least for me it is not. Still they are done for now and no glue!

Larimar Drop Earrings by kwant, on Flickr