Thread: looking for Tumbler tips!!! Please & Thank-you! :)

Default looking for Tumbler tips!!! Please & Thank-you! :)

I am 'still kinda new' been on a year-ish still don't know how to use this site

I have a rock tumbler & I want to use steel shot what do I use with?
    No water, I know that
    Please advise

you do use water if you want to tumble jewellery, you also use barrebrite or equivalent soap, it depends on if you have hard water, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon, I'm newish to this
    Wendy

stainless steel shot
    water to just above the level of the shot + pieces for tumbling (no more than 1/3 full barrel)
    burnishing compound or very mild (no additives, no bleach) dish soap (couple of drops)

There are a lot of threads on the forum about tumbling if you use the search facility at the top right.

Mizgeorge is spot on - and to add to that, I also found that plain washing up liquid works better than the lemon and other smelly ones - not exactly sure why but those 'flavoured' ones made my silver turn dull. In my opinion burnishing compound, which is like soap flakes, is by far the best choice in terms of the results you get.
    J

I have not used a tumbler before but now have one and it came with some product (Barrelling Liquid from Palmers) to put in with the shot. Are you supposed to rinse the shot after use or does the Barrelling liquid help to stop it rusting? At the moment I am just taking the shot out and letting it dry thoroughly after use.