Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tarnish

Default tarnish

A customer has returned one of my silver pieces. It is terribly tarnished. Brown in colour. I know perfumes, cosmetics and poor storage can cause tarnish, but surely not as bad as this! Can anyone suggest what may have caused it?
    Thanks.

If the tarnish comes off in silver dip, then it will be due to exposure to sulphides. The customer will be most likely to know the source such as food (eggs, Onions), chemicals (anti dandruff shampoo), or gases from a boiler or cooker, particularly if it is worn or stored in a hot and humid place. Some chemical solutions produce silver oxide which needs gentle reheating and pickling to remove it. Cooksons could also help. Please let us know the result.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

Thanks so much, Dennis. Yes, it comes off in dip. I knew about eggs/onions but not anti dandruff shampoo. I wonder if that is it. Gasses from a boiler etc may also explain it.
    What are other sources of sulphides I wonder.
    Thank you for taking the time to pass this on. Most helpful!
    Silverjane

Quote:'What are other sources of sulphides I wonder'
    Don't ask! But swimming in the Dead Sea wrecks silver something awful. D.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-11-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Thinking of putting a tag on my pieces, 'Not to be worn in the red sea'! Thanks, Dennis. Cooksons tech dept gave me a most helpful response:
    Discolouration is a common problem witth silver. The brown you have described is due to a compound formed between silver and sulphur.
    Sulphur is found in spicy diets, some medications, perfumes,hand and body lotions and cigarette smoke.
    We recommend products such as Goddwards silver polish/dip but it needs to be reapplied regularly.

Oh no, you're fine in the Red Sea, only have to avoid the Dead Sea. Last time I was swimming in the Red Sea in Aqaba, a whole shoal of little jumping fish came to check me out! Brilliant place! And warm..... shiver!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Oh no, you're fine in the Red Sea, only have to avoid the Dead Sea. Last time I was swimming in the Red Sea in Aqaba, a whole shoal of little jumping fish came to check me out! Brilliant place! And warm..... shiver!

Tell that to the Russian tourists who were swimming just off Sharm earlier this week.....

Oh do tell George - did they get eaten by sharks ?- there are far too many ruskies in the Red Sea area for my liking - right pain in the hotels they are!

Love the Red Sea - warm, warm, warm - only about 14 weeks before I go again - sigh!

Red Sea shark alert after swimmers are savaged - Africa, World - The Independent

The huge number of Russians visit because it's one of the few places they can go without needing a visa.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Red Sea shark alert after swimmers are savaged - Africa, World - The Independent

The huge number of Russians visit because it's one of the few places they can go without needing a visa.
    or ny manners so it seems...