Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fitting Bench Peg

There they are, on the left...

Now, I must suggest some No 4 cut needle files too... and something a bit more fire-proof than mdf for soldering!!

To be honest, that clamp on bench-pin from Cooksons is so cheap you can't possibly fail to get your money's worth even if you go for a more traditional design later.

James is spot on I feel - don't delay in christening it with some of your own creativity. Give it a few real scorch marks and scrapes and scatter some filings about... make something!

Default What Skin?

That is pretty good so far Lee. Now I am wondering what you will use as a skin. In the college I attend they have a piece of oilcloth, with eyelets, strung out under the cut out. It is essential to collect offcuts and dropped gemstones. The front hangs down loosely and can be arranged on your knees while working.

At home I have opted for a drawer on runners, taken from a vegetable rack. Strangely as it has no bounce, I have never lost anything through the holes at the back but occasionally I am too lazy or forgetful to pull it out. You will note that my bench peg is a broad piece of oak held on with a large G-clamp, not very beautifully fitted.

As I needed the extra space I opted not to have a cut out. Kind regards, Dennis.

I haven't really made any full pieces yet i'm just playing around trying different techniques, i need to master the soldering to make what i had in mind at the start off this.

Lee