Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: head pins

Ah, that would explain why the person I spoke to asked what I was using it for. When I said for its balling up qualities, he was a bit hesitant. I then asked if they'd sorted out the problem and he said "yes". I'll have to give it a try this afternoon.

I actually feel a bit sorry for them Carole - they're being badly let down by the factory. I had to give in and place a rather larger order than I'd have liked from the US today

Interesting....I ordered some earlier today and he asked me what I used it for, so I told him. He then cryptically said "You'll have to let us know how you get on".
    I did say to him that some fellow jewellery makers were experiencing some difficulties with some they had bought and was that why he wanted to know!

Sarah

I have used some of Cooksons Reflections wire or balled up headpins and it seems ok

I've used it all to make headpins now as I needed them. I should ring them up and tell them about it I suppose; the more people that complain the more likely they are to do something about it. What I don't understand is why it is any different to what cooksons were supplying. Surely they must have changed something in the manufacturing process. If they are the UK distributors shouldn't we be complaining direct to Argentium International Ltd? (sorry, a little bit of a thread hijack here )

It's Argentium themselves I've been talking to Nicci. Apparently there's something not quite going right in the manufacturing process, but as the factory's in Italy, I think there's a bit of a communication problem at times.

I tried making headpins with Argex argentium 0.5 wire the other day. I had real problems there, a bit of flux helped though, however nowehere near how it should be. I would describe mine as though the metal melts and drips and rather than balls up.

I also had a tiny bit of Cooksons reflections (0.5 as well) and it balled up beautifully. I saw a thread a while ago about making Reflections headpins and that they didn't turn out nice, however mine were fine. I had the torch flame very hot (mine is Little Torch), the tip of the flame very pointed and darker blue.

Ooo another Little Torch user... I've just got the melting head for mine!

Argentium shouldn't need flux, and the melt and drip sounds like the same bad batch to me. Send it back!

I've had a go with my latest order from Argex and it seems fine.