Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: head pins

Red face head pins

please can anyone tell me where to buy large amounts of sterling silver head pins not plated. about 50mm lenght with a ball head and not flat. All the ones i have found are very expensive. I have tried making them myself but the ball always ends up witha dent in. Grateful for any help

My advice is to always make them yourself. Bought ones are usually very weak. I used to buy them from Burhouse Beads but was always having things returned for repair. Now I make them from Argentium silver and the balls are always perfect.

maybe i will buy some argentinium silver i am in hatton garden tomorrow. do you use a particular thickness? do you hold the silver in to the flame heating from below. I hate the little dents that appear when you use 925. many thanks for your help

I don't think you'll find argentium in Hatton Garden Sarah. The only company that sells it in the UK is Argex in Birmingham. Yes you do hold the silver in the flame but you need to cool it more slowly than sterling - just hold it for a few seconds out of the flame before putting it down.

I am pretty sure that Palmers have now started selling Argentium and also The Silver Corporation but not in many different guages

Palmer's range of Argentium is limited to a lobster clasp and an earwire!....deffo no bullion there..............

Sarah

That's interesting Faith. Good that a few more companies are stocking it, though Argex have more choice.

Palmers have got 0.8mm wire, but at a fairly hefty price.

There's still a problem with some of the gauges from Argex (unfortunately).

I thought i remembered you mentioning that before George - I have just had 0.8 and 0.5 from them to make headpins and the only way I could actually form the ball without it dropping off or the wire just curling up was to form an eyepin first and then heat it. Takes more time to make them, but works. I also do not quench at all - just put them down on a block when done and leave to cool, then pickle and tumble.

Nicci, I'd send it back! The 0.8 is definitely failing, and I've also just returned a large amount of 1.5mm for the second time. I know the 1.0 and 1.2 are OK, but I've been talking with the Argentium Ltd metallurgist, and there's still something not quite right in the process at the factory.