Thread: soldering sterling silver

Default soldering sterling silver

Hi, I've been given a sterling silver ring to solder back together. at least I think it's sterling silver it has a 925 hallmark inside the shank S/925.

Tthe lady originally asked me to wire wrap the moonstone, but it won't come out of its bezel. So the question is, do I need proper sterling silver or silver solder in order to attempt to put this back together? or ultimately would you advise sending her to a 'proper' silversmith, which I am not.

kind regards

PurplePrincess

Ah, I think that the "proper" silversmith is your better route.

The stone will almost certainly need to be removed prior to soldering and silver soldering is really quite a bit harder than some imagine.

Depending on the exact shape and fault, this is likely to be a more costly and complex task than it may at first appear.

ahh thank you, I kind of thought this might be the case. Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated.

Pauline

Purple Princess

Although silver soldering is a difficult skill to master, it is definitely a worthwhile one and with practice, it is something most people can do. It will greatly extend your range of jewellery creativity.

But it definitely isn't something that you pick-up working on a client's property!

Dear Pauline, Joe's advice is worth it's weight in gold. I would suggest you get a little copper sheet or wire and some silver solder and start practicing. Better still find a beginners course. In the mean time, have a look at this: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot...html#post39487
    Welcome to the forum, kind regfards Dennis.