Thread: Filler for bezel-set cabs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Filler for bezel-set cabs?

Hello - I have had a look and couldn't find a previous post about this before - apologies if I'm wrong.

I'm aiming to set some rather flat cabs into bezels and rather than make the bezel walls lower I would like to try to raise the cab higher, and I have heard that you can use sawdust for this. Having never done this before I wonder if any experts out there can advise - is this a durable option? does water not seep in if the bezel gets wet? and are we talking about any old sawdust or is there a specific one for the job?

What other means of raising a cabochon do others use? I'd be really interested to find out more if anyone has any tips.

Thanks very much everyone!

Two streets from the Tunnocks teacake factory!

We were doing this in my jewellery class last week and the tutor suggested popping a closed jump ring in the cup under the cab. Not sure if anyone in the class actually did this or not so don't know the results. Someone more experienced may be along with a better idea later!

I've used jump rings (soldered to the base) and also bits of copper sheet as fillers. Both seemed to work fine, but I've no idea if there's a better way.

Jasmin, There are many things to take into consideration when raising a cab, if the cab is not at all transparent then the easiest way to raise it is to place a metal thickener or a jump ring, one method I have used is to super glue a piece of scrap metal to the cab and then just pierce around the cab, if the cab is slightly transparent then just pierce out a loose shape and polish the surface that may show through the cab before setting it as usual. If the cab is of a red or brown colour then copper will surfice, but if the cab is of a pale colour then a polished silver under liner will be better. I do know of some setters who use shellac melted into settings to raise the cab.
    Good luck with your efforts.
    James

I guess nobody uses the sawdust trick anymore!

Thanks to all for the info - especially to James for all the suggestions. Can I just ask, James, why would you superglue a metal piece to the cab as opposed to soldering it into the bezel?

Thanks again.

Jasmin

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin View Post
    I guess nobody uses the sawdust trick anymore!

Thanks to all for the info - especially to James for all the suggestions. Can I just ask, James, why would you superglue a metal piece to the cab as opposed to soldering it into the bezel?

Thanks again.

Jasmin
    Jasmin, Hallmarking rules, if you soldered copper to silver or gold then it could not be hallmarked as precious metal. It is legal to set non precious metal into hallmarked items. If the job is to set a cab into a deep bezel then you could solder a seat inside the bezel setting, I did a short photo tutorial on this method on another forum. It's shown below if it helps.
    James
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66a Scorper cuts to hold stone seat.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	2469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67 Scorper cuts and stone seat bezel.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	2470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68 Stone seat sitting on scorper up cuts.jpg 
Views:	37