Thread: Good supplier ?

Default Good supplier ?

In my evening class we are about to embark on stone setting. I want to purchase reasonably priced stones as I imagine first attempts will be less than perfect !
    Has anyone used an Indian company - jewellerysupermart.com ?

I've bought stuff from a variety of eastern countries with fairly limited satisfaction - even when the stone is of advertised quality (rarely) it is almost never well cut. They're cheap but not a bargain in my experience.

For the cheaper end of the spectrum I do use Magpie Jewellers, who also sell on ebay. They're OK.

I also use Magpie for cheap stuff. If I want slightly better from people I trust, then Affinity Gems are always extremely reliable, and have a great range of stones and prices.

Bellore, bellore have lots of inexpensive cabochons, for example garnets or rainbow moonstones. If you need faceted stones I suggest a pack of assorted CZs possibly from Cooksons. I have used these loads of times and they don't look cheap when made up. Dennis.

Thank you everyone.

Thanks Dennis, a new one for my list!!

I hope they do you well by mail order, Joe. As you will have noted, Bellore have a showroom in Greville street on my tour of Hatton Garden. As they are the nearest to my tube station, they are often my first port of call and sometimes I have to go no further.
    The place is always seething with students and hobbyists of every kind. If I need something really cheap such as coloured tiger tail for only one necklace they have been known not to charge me and all with good humour.
    One of the things I bought from there is a large piece of soldering board, 20x30 cm. In fact I cut it in half, but I feel much safer with it when using my mini-torch at the bench. It is also soft enough to take pins easily.
    A good weekend to all of you, Dennis.

if there are rock n gem shows in ireland (not sure, you will have to look up their site) these are good if you want to handle the stones before buying. i find these shows have a wide range of prices & quality, so something for everyone. and also really unusual cuts sometimes.

ive used magpie in the past too, and they were very good via ebay.

also marcia lanyon, and i have also picked up some really lovely & good value from cooksons too - dont forget cooksons