Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice about Dremel or not to Dremel...

Default Advice about Dremel or not to Dremel...

Hi, I own a Fingerpprint jewellery company and am currently pretty busy with order on the run up to xmas. We are sticking with the old fashioned sanding paper technique for getting a smooth surface and polishing but recently have been looking into buying a dremel with the approproiate attachments to do the same job. Does anyone have any advice or experience of using one on pure silver and if so does it work???
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks x

Hi,

they do work however it depends how much you intend on using it, i have gone through a dremel and another hobby drill so i would advise you get a pendant drill they last for ever and they make the bits last alot longer, they have quick release and a speed control pedal. Although priced at £200+ i would very much recommend one, they are my most used item in my workshop.

Regards

Stuart

Stu is right, there is no comparison if you can afford the better option. But it also matters which rotary polishers for pendant motor you experiment with. There is a vast array and it will take some time (and wasted money) to decide which are best for you.

For a start I would suggest the four grades of radial wheel for pre-polishing and then cotton and calico wheels with say two of the Dialux compounds to finish.
    Various grades of micromesh sheet will do flat surfaces much more perfectly than rotary tools and a finger print will only need a soapy brass brush used by hand.

We'll soon find out what the other members say. Kind regards, Dennis.

I'm a huge convert now to Luxi (despite the price) and my rouge and dialux are mouldering in a drawer! (Hey Cookies, start stocking Luxi at Rio prices!!).

It hardly matters what polishing option you try - they're all low-cost disposables, play about!

But... a Foredom from Cousins is the best starter option. (I'm sorry Cookies, it's you're own fault - you could be stocking this!).

I'd agree with the above. However, Foredom isn't necessarily the best. I have a Milbro which has done me proud for the last 10 years with absolutely no maintenance. I do have a Dremel as well which I use as a back-up when I have students in. It's nowhere near as good but it does the job.

I only have a cheapo Dremel, what I don't like about it and find very frustrating is when the thing bounces ant the shank scratches the piece you have just polished so it becomes a never ending process.
    Does anyone know how to stop this happening? Does it happen with a pendant drill?

You have investigated tumbling haven't you? I haven't made fingerprint jewellery, but I imagine that it doesn't require the mirror finish of conventional polishing and tumbling is ideal for labour saving.

Do shop around for the equipment and shot - prices vary incredibly!

I agree Carole - I have a milbro and a foredom, and like both. The foredom deal from Cousins is extremely good value though.

I also have a dremel that's used for a couple of very specific jobs where I want fixed speed for cutting, but wouldn't ever recommend it for bench work.

I think if you're not ready to get a pendant motor, then a basic hobby drill with a flexshaft will do the job. Cooksons have some, and tbh they turn up at Aldi and Lidl etc on a regular basis for around £20.

Default Bouncy Burrs.

Quote Originally Posted by jille View Post
    I only have a cheapo Dremel, what I don't like about it and find very frustrating is when the thing bounces
    Experimenting with speed is important Jille, to reduce bouncing and wandering, but you also have much more control if you hold your handpiece in your fist as you would a potato peeler and not like a pen. This may seem clumsy at first, but give it a go. You will also have a free thumb to rest somewhere for extra support.
    Dennis.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all your advice.

We do have a tumbler but it hasn't worked for us. The Cousins offer on the foredom looks great, I am willing to pay out if it will work.

So if I buy the foredom that is on offer with the kit, would I just have to then buy the polishing compound, or do I also need to buy the different grades bits for pre polishing? Anything else I need in addition to this kit?

Thanks again..........