Thread: Copper ring

20 Km out side Mareeba in Far Nth Queensland

Default Copper ring

This is the first piece I have done without my teacher over my shoulder. It was made for a niece who has had a breakup with her boyfriend recently and is feeling sad but philosopical about it. She wanted "C'est la vie" (Such is life) stamped on it.

Cheers
    Judy

thats a lovely ring, I do love the hammered texture, and well done for your first solo piece
    Wendy

very nice - and I love the sentiment!

Default Tarnish

Can you help me, I am thinking of experimenting with copper and was wondering, does it tarnish if worn next to the skin?

Does it need special treatment?

It's a lot to do with body chemistry, and whilst copper will always oxidise, it doesn't turn everyone green!

You can help slow the process down a lot by coating with either a microcrystalline wax like Renaissance, or a chip-proof coating like protectaclear.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkleprints View Post
    Can you help me, I am thinking of experimenting with copper and was wondering, does it tarnish if worn next to the skin?

Does it need special treatment?
    It is also possible to make a lining, 3.0mm wider, from 0.4 mm fine silver sheet and turn out the edges with doming punches held top and bottom. One would be in a vice and one held by hand. It is not essential to solder it in place, but you do have to re-think the sizing.
    I have suggested fine silver because it is very easy to manage, and if you have any over it will make good customised bezel strips for your venture into stone setting.