Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Whitstable

Oh do tell us some more about your mixed media pieces! There's something really interesting and fine-artsy going on there and you have an attentive audience of creative professionals.... Looks a cinch to be nabbed by Untracht for his next edition!

Oh Wow! I love that Acrylic and Silver neckpiece!!! I Luurrvvee Plastics and mixed media too Hi from me Btw!

Hello everyone and thanks for the comments.
    I will say a bit more about the silver and acrylic neckpiece, as there seems to be a fair bit of interest in it.
    To be honest, I don't make much stuff like that, as it's not always very commercial, and whilst plastics can be good, I usually prefer working with more natural materials.
    The acrylic used is something called bubble rod, which comes in straight lengths with air bubbles already inside. This was heated in a kiln until it became rubbery and bent round a former (wearing gloves!). The bottom section unclips to put the neckpiece on, and different colour backs can be substituted (see picture below).
    The hardest part was bending the silver tube to the same curve as the acrylic. Pipe bending tools are generally only for certain diameters and standard curves. So, the tube was packed with sand and sealed by soldering ends on. This allowed the tube to be bent without buckling too much.
    I have made a few other things with bubble rod. The bracelet below is made from thicker rod which has been carved and then bent. The other picture shows a detail from another neckpiece I made with the same thicker carved rod, and the bottom section cast in brass from a wax carving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bubble bracelet.jpg   neckpiece brass.jpg   silver and blue acrylic.jpg  

Ooh interesting work! Welcome to the forum Fraser

Some beautiful work Fraser, thank you for taking the time to tell us about the necklace, very interesting.
    Look forwards to hearing more from you. Welcome!