Thread: Snap Cufflinks

Default Snap Cufflinks

Hello! Can anybody HELP!!?? I have been asked today to make some sterling silver snap on cufflinks, I had never heard of them before, so I have googled them and found some lovely vintage ones. Apparently they were fashionable back in the 1920's. They are just a cufflink, but one that does up like a popper, there are two parts to them. I have looked for the mechanism or the appropriate finding, but can't find one anywhere, can anybody point me to a supplier? I would be everso grateful

Aren't they like a dressmaking popper or press stud? I recall my grandfather wearing them (not that that's much help!), but I don't think I've ever seen sterling versions.

I wonder if the 'modern' equivalent might be to use high strength magnets (which can be bezel set into the middles).

Thanks George, maybe thats why I can't find any findings, as of course the actual popper wouldn't be sterling silver would it? It would probably be stainless steel or some other metal.

I have a few pairs of vintage ones - only ever seen them in base metals though.
    Making my own set is approx item number 37 on my current to-do list!!!

You could either get brass (not brass effect!) poppers and silver plate them or use stainless steel.

I'd go for stainless steel myself, please let us know how you get on...

Edit: It's beyond me why they aren't popular still, it certainly makes rolling your sleeves up easier.

As poppers have springs, would that not contra-indicate soldering? I have tried making that kind of fixing from scratch for another purpose, but I could not make it look professional enough. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Sorry, must have mis-read - didnt realise soldering was a requirement.
    Best to get yourself down to a haberdashers and see what they can offer.
    Normal popers have sewing holes round the edge, but if the popper was chunky enough maybe you could drill through the centre and use a single rivet?
    Should look neat enough, but hard to say if possible without seeing one infront of me...