Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Size Fits All? No Not Quite.

Default One Size Fits All? No Not Quite.

The subject of ring sizing is so fraught with problems, it’s a wonder anyone offers to make rings at all. You pass your client a bunch of ring sizers and they humour you by choosing one. ‘there’s really no need ‘ they think, ’I just take the usual size’. Anyhow they are late for something more urgent. A few weeks later they return with their ring in a box. ‘I love my ring they say, but could you just…’ Here are some of the problems:

Rings made of wider material need to be much larger to fit the same finger, maybe by two sizes. Other factors such as bevelled inner edges or even a high polish might make the ring seem looser. So if you value your sanity, and wish to remain solvent you might factor in a mock-up in base metal which, once proved correct, can be copied faithfully. At the very least use ring sizers of the same width and contour as the intended ring.

If you add a heavy stone on a tall setting, the ring will still swivel disconcertingly and to my knowledge the only remedy then is to add a spring. This might also have to be the answer for someone with fatter than usual knuckles, or whose hands swell periodically.

I have been told that because knuckles are oval in shape, thinner from top to bottom than from side to side, rings can be oval too, but the other way. They are then put on sideways and straightened up for a tight fit. I have always resisted this because I cannot get my head around sizing oval shanks.

Other problems arise when the shank is square or D shaped and the ring stick can no longer be used to guide you. Then it is time to play the Memory Game. Using a ring the client is happy with, pass it over one of your own knuckles that it fits well. Then make a note: ‘Very tight over the first knuckle of R. index finger’, for example. Aim to make the new ring feel similar, but try a mock-up first. Make the client try the final version again before setting any stones. You can become so good at this that you use it to double check all your rings.

If all else fails here is my design for an adjustable ring. The curly bit can easily be pinched with pliers to tighten it, or the ring can be pushed up a ring stick to enlarge it. The scheme shown below is for the shank of this size O ring on 1mm graph paper. I used 1.6mm square wire with the edges bevelled. Both parts are identical, but one has been turned over and then they were soldered together. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-11-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Thank you Dennis - I always struggle with ring sizing and have been looking for an alternative - may give this a try if you don't mind.

Sonia
    x

What a very clever design - completely agree with you on the nightmares of ring sizing -

a lovely ring dennis thank you for sharing . I have made some that just wrapped around at the front under the bezel but my Dad said they looked like lucky bag rings. i would like to give it a go too if that's ok with you

As it happens, I made a "resizeable" ring this very weekend! Not my usual fayre, but I needed a present for a friend and I could only guess at her ring size...

It's based on the idea of a vine wrapping around her finger with a single leaf off-shoot and a curly, exploratory tendril... which allows for the basic structure to be a simple spiral of varying diameter. The shank is made thin enough that she can tweak it for size herself...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Topaz Ring_side.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	2417

Jille, be my guest, but let us know how you get on. It's always more more fun with some feedback.
    Joe, that is one romantic ring with its leaf and tendril. I know several people who would like to wear it.
    Somewhere there is also a version for an adjustable ring by George. Hopefully she can put it on again.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

thanks Dennis, it will be in the new year as i don't have time to play, just now I'm making glass items. I think as a beginner mine will be a simplified version, i will post a picture, if/ when i get round to it. I'll put up the lucky bag rings if i get a moment at the weekend. i don't have them with me just now

Dennis would you mind if I had a go at your design too? it looks so much nicer than the run of the mill adjustables that as said before look like "luckybag rings" lol.

I will happily post pics of my results, even if they are pants compared to yours and that lovely vine ring by Jo

[QUOTE=abyjem;39767]Dennis would you mind if I had a go at your design too?

Please do, it's free for all. I guess you could also use round wire, but do the experiment in copper first to verify that you are in the right size bracket. Dennis.

thanks Dennis - yes I will definately try copper first - I doubt I will get it right first time - lol