Thread: Changeable charm bracelet: what kind of ring claspwould be best?

Default Changeable charm bracelet: what kind of ring claspwould be best?

Hello all,
    I make charm bracelets with medallions. Right now the medallions are attached to the chain or thread with jump rings, but I'd like to find a solution so that the owner can detach the charm and put it on another thread.
    The problem is that I don't want to put lobster claw or a caribiner because I find them bulky and ugly. A spring clasp would look weird I think.
    Ideally, I'd like a clasp that looks just like a jump ring.
    I found a "silver lobster ring shortner" in the cooksongold findings section that looks just like a ring, but it's way too big and expensive.
    Does anybody know if there are smaller ones?
    Does anybody know of another solution to my problem?
    Thanks a lot

How about a small split ring such as this one at Cooksons Silver Split Ring 5mm, Pack Of 10 - Cooksongold.com

Thank you for your answer,
    actually I'm looking for something that customers can detach easily, I find split rings quite inconvenient.

have a look for triggerless clasps. They come in quite small sizes and look a lot 'tidier' than a conventional carabiner. I've not found any in the UK, but they are easily found in Hong Kong and arrive in about 5 days.

Good idea, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Good idea, thanks.
    More a cherished resource, I would say.

Yes but those are too big for me

I was thinking of this style 2 Sterling Silver Oval Lobster Clasp bead 5.8mm x 9.4mm - eBay (item 150508724080 end time Oct-28-10 18:40:17 PDT) - but these are larger than the last ones I had - it's often worth asking the seller if they have the smaller option though.

The other alternative might be to use a pearl shortener, but again, these may be a little larger than you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    have a look for triggerless clasps. They come in quite small sizes and look a lot 'tidier' than a conventional carabiner. I've not found any in the UK, but they are easily found in Hong Kong and arrive in about 5 days.
    yes George, Hong Kong is a good place for supply of such items, so is mainland China as long as you get samples sent first for quality checking then there are generally no issues.

cheers,
    Ruby