Thread: Dusty glass beads

Default Dusty glass beads

I'm writing this in the customer service forum as I'd quite like to highlight to the Cookies team the issue I had with a recent purchase from Cooksons. I'm looking for some advice from other users too.

I recently bought some glass beads from Cooksons to make some long knotted necklaces.
    I bought eight packs, some of the 100g intricate bead mixes and some of the 50g glass bead selections. When I fist saw them in their packets I was a little disappointed as they didn't look at all shiny, but then i realised that they were covered in dust. When I came to thread them I realised that there was a thick layer of a chalky substance inside each hole. Now I'm guessing that this is how they stop the beads form sticking when they manufacture them...?

I've not bought large glass beads before, maybe it is normal for them to come dusty, but it just seems to me that it would be far easier for the manufacturers to clean the beads up than the end user. I spent nearly as long reaming and cleaning the beads as i did knotting them together.

Has anyone else had this issue with glass beads? If it is normal for them to come dusty? Is there a really quick way of cleaning them before I thread them?

If I hadn't been so keen to get on and make my necklaces I probably would have returned the beads for a refund. As it was I'd made a couple of necklaces before I even thought to clean the beads first. I ended up having to wash those necklaces afterwards as they black cord i had used to thread them had turned a dusty grey.

I'm obviously not looking to return the beads now as I've used them all, and I'm actually quite pleased with how the necklaces came out in the end.
    I guess I just wasn't expecting to have to prepare the beads before use and I'd quite like to hear what the Cookies team and other forum members think.

If you buy lampworked glass beads from any of the good bead makers they will have cleaned out the bead release thoroughly before selling their beads!

Funny you should mention this Alexandra but I had the same problem with a couple of packs of beads I bought fron Cookies, and one of the packs was the black glass flattie beads with the silver foil that I see you also used. I thought this was normal, having never worked with beads before but this has alerted me it's maybe not the norm.

bead release left in holes is usually a sure sign of mass produced cheap imported beads, mostly from India or China. The main worry would be that it is often the case that these have also not been annealed, which means they may not really be strong enough for everyday use.

I'm another one who thoroughly recommends using artisan made lampwork glass.

Thanks for the replies peeps!

Quote Originally Posted by lorraineflee View Post
    If you buy lampworked glass beads from any of the good bead makers they will have cleaned out the bead release thoroughly before selling their beads!
    That's interesting... I bought from Cooksoons as I wanted them quickly and I know they did the packs. Any ideas where I could try in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by wheely View Post
    Funny you should mention this Alexandra but I had the same problem with a couple of packs of beads I bought fron Cookies, and one of the packs was the black glass flattie beads with the silver foil that I see you also used. I thought this was normal, having never worked with beads before but this has alerted me it's maybe not the norm.
    Ooh, you must get my Facebook page feed! I'm afraid I don't know your name :P

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    bead release left in holes is usually a sure sign of mass produced cheap imported beads, mostly from India or China. The main worry would be that it is often the case that these have also not been annealed, which means they may not really be strong enough for everyday use.

I'm another one who thoroughly recommends using artisan made lampwork glass.
    I figured they would be mass produced due to the price. I am a little concerned by what you say about the annealing! I'll have to give them a good test run.

I'll definitely be shopping around before I buy any more.