Thread: Polishing and firing

Default Polishing and firing

Hi, I'm a long time lurker and although not first time poster, it's been a very long time

Am trying to find the best way to fire either pmc or art clay at home. I know ideally it would a kiln, but I don't have one available. I have had success with a hand torch, but was wondering if a camping stove would be better especially as I would like to give some pieces away for christmas? I've read up about finding the hotspot but how long should I fire it for.

My other question is about polishing. I did a course a couple of months ago and managed to get a great shine on the piece I made with some sponges, but since then I haven't got such a good shine (is it because the courses pieces were kiln fired rather with a torch?). If I put them in the tumbler would I lose some of the definition (thinking my sons finger prints) or do they come out lovely and shiney. I have access to a dremel and have noticed the pmc polishing kit here, do I still need to use rouge to get a good shine or can I just just use the polishing attachments (ie the no mess option ).

Thanks for any help

Re firing, the easiest way to fire at home if you don't have a kiln is on the gas hob. I've heard these microwave kils are good but I've never used one - has anyone here? Timings, I go for about 7 - 10 minutes.
    Re polishing, people on here don't seem to rate Dremels, but I bought mine specifically for this purpose and I'm more than happy with it. Yes you still need to use rouge and a pre polishing agent (Tripoli or Hyfin - seperate wheels).
    I'm no authority on pmc, but Nic is, hopewfully she'll answer.

I don't have a gas hob (it's electric) but I do have a camping stove, will that work as well?

I bit bullet and chucked a couple of test pieces in my tumbler and am amazed at how shiny they are, I'm really pleased with them. So I guess I have a new question, do I still need to use the metal brush after I've fired them or can I just stick them straight in the tumbler? One of the pieces has some marks on the back which I think are from the brush, so can this step be skipped.

Thanks for the info on the dremel, I think I might stick with the tumbler for a while as my bench is in the house and from what I remember the rouge is a bit messy.

No need to brush if you're going to tumble.

Luxi water based compounds are a lot less messy than rouge.

Might have to give them a try Joe, I get in such a mess with rouge! I don't mind the hands so much but the spray on the face.....
    Last edited by wheely; 25-10-2010 at 11:10 AM.

It just doesn't wash out - horrible stuff; the only thing I wear protective clothing for.

I avoided the Luxi thinking it overpriced, but it's excellent and you can wipe the spray off with a sponge (you still get the spray mind, it's not that clean!).

I must admit that I'd managed to polish both my thumb & forefinger nails last week while using the luxi blue - very effective and striking and impossible to convince your mates in the pub that you've not had a bizarre manicure just on your thumbs!

Can you put more than one piece in a tumbler at a time? I've had a tumbler for a while but still scared to use it!

Yes you can put several pieces into the tumbler at once, once you have used it you will wonder why you where scared, they are great.
    Wedy

THank you Wendy - that's really helpful. Going to try it then :-)

Joe, I've been putting things in the tumbler with out brushing as you suggested, and they have come out really well, very shiny. Thanks!