Thread: The Pain Of One-offs.

Default The Pain Of One-offs.

On holiday I saw some belts with a sign: ‘Genuine Leather € 5’, so I brought one home intending to replace the buckle with a silver one, which I have just recently completed. One-offs bring new challenges, so I hope you will like a brief account of the work in progress.

The design was laid out on graph paper, making it easier to verify the dimensions of the various parts, but they were also checked with callipers and adjusted to fit. The inner frame made of 6.0 x 2.0mm strip was bent up without scoring the corners and joined at one of the short sides. I then made seven rings from 3.0 x2.0mm material and cut them up to form the outer parts. In each case the strips had been passed through slightly undersized holes in a round draw plate so as to bevel the edges. I couldn’t bring myself to solder them piecemeal, so I went for doing most of it in one go.

To minimise cleaning up, I decided to solder from behind so the completed frame was fixed to the soldering block, best side down, with drops of superglue at the corners. The first layer of half circles was then arranged and each one also tacked down, with one drop the glue well away from any joints. After fluxing and placing paillions of solder, it was time to arrange the second layer. These parts did not balance well, so for extra support I used left over pieces of my 3x2 and these offcuts were glued down as well. Then the remaining joints were fluxed and solder placed.

This assembly was now quite stable, but with 36 joints I was quite anxious not to lose any paillions by heating it up too quickly. So I recruited a mini- hairdryer, which settled down the flux in a few minutes. Luckily using two torches to apply the heat as evenly as possible, I was able to complete soldering without mishap, leaving only the crossbar for the leather still to add. The prong was drawn down for hardness and attached without soldering. The whole thing was given a slight curve by pressing it down on a log.

I quite liked the tramlines left by the drawplate, so the front was finished with only a soapy brass brush. The back was quickly cleaned up with a frosting wheel. Below:
    The Plan,
    Soldering Gear,
    Leather tools: Punch, Skiver, Craft knife, Screws.
    Finished Belt.

Wowsers - that's very flash Dennis!
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Always brilliant tips from you! Takes mental note of super glue and mini hairdrier - Cheers! Great buckle btw.

Looks fantastic Dennis. Sounds a great way of stabilising items to be soldered. Do you find the superglue damages your soldering block, I imagine bits being pulled off!!
    Also, is there any chance of a view of the back, I'm interested in seeing the clean-up provided by the frosted finish!

Many thanks
    Tabby

Hi tabby,
    You can see the ghost of the buckle on the block in the picture, but no bits come off and the block can be used again as normal.
    Sorry, I dont have a picture of the back, but I used the medium frosting wheel with .45mm wires for pendant motor (Also called texturising brush, or texturing brush in some catalogues.). It is rather expensive, but run fairly slowly it lasts me about six months before it becomes bald. So you need eye protection against the flying wires. However it is a quick fix for obscuring marks and crevices and giving an overall finish like silver sandpaper and it does not hurt your hands too much.
    Kind regards, Dennis.
    The cheapest I have found is PE205 from Sutton Tools at £15.69.
    Last edited by Dennis; 20-10-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Ah yes, I can see the surface, superglue (and hairdryer) will certainly be methods I shall be trying now!

Thank you for the info on the frosting wheel and the "quick fix" potential. Would the finish be okay against the skin (I'm thinking of pendants for instance).

Thank you yet again for your words of wisdom

Kind regards
    Tabby

Quote 'Would the finish be okay against the skin (I'm thinking of pendants for instance).'

It is my default finish for the backs of pendants (unless the material is already textured) and it does not feel at all rough. The good thing is that it can be used as a finishing touch anywhere that looks a bit plain, but you do need speed control on your motor. Thank you for your comments, Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 21-10-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Dennis, I am intrigued by this method. Does the superglue just burn off so that the silver is not marked ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Dennis, I am intrigued by this method. Does the superglue just burn off so that the silver is not marked ?
    Yes Mia, it briefly has a small smoky flame and then burns away completely, leaving only a ghostly mark on the block. I reckon it would interfere with soldering if placed close to a joint, but I have not done the experiment. Perhaps I shall now. Kind regards, Dennis.