Thread: solder problem with bangle

Default solder problem with bangle

Hi, I am new at this and really need some help please. I am making a bangle using 12ga sterling wire with easy paste, a Dremel2200 and grey fire brick. My solder just smokes, dries brown and then falls off. I have tried this many times after pickling and fine sanding but still having no luck. I upgraded from my microtorch to the dremel thinking my flame wasnt hot enough but I still cant get it. I think my wire still isnt getting hot enough, but how do you keep the bangle hot? Thank you for your help.

Meli

It's not hot enough.

Try using both torches - use the bigger one at the back of the piece to keep the whole thing warm and then bring the microtorch in for the joint. Building yourself a little 'furnace' with some soldering blocks could also help.

Dear Meli,
    If you look back about 4 weeks, you will see that another member had the same trouble with a bangle, but eventually succeeded. Heed George's advice, keep your flames away from the paste and it should eventually flow.
    More suggestions: Change to an easier grade of solder, which requires less heat.
    Add some flux to your paste solder.
    Change to paillions of strip solder.
    I am just finishing a long winded post on the subject for Monday, which I hope the members will contribute to. Have a look in.
    Kind regards, Dennis.

are you warming the entire bangle before concentrating on the area to join? I always warm the entire piece with the flame, then when it is hot sweep back and forth over the join area. Hope this helps (and Dennis definitely will!)
    Lyd

Thank you all so much for your replies. I must have missed the previous post on this same problem. I will try both torches to keep the bangle hot, and invest in a few more fireblocks to make a furnace. Dennis - will definately look out for your post next week.
    I aim to have this bangle done today!! I am a very determined beginner ....
    Meli

Hi Meli,
    I don't know if you have been told before, but one of the most common mistake that beginers make when first soldering, is to assume that a hot fierce torch directed at the solder joint area,is the best method for melting solders, this may be true when welding, but when silver soldering a soft flame will work much better. As others have you have to heat the whole of the bangle before the solder will run correctly. Try this method, first place a fluxed pallion of solder on the inside section of the fluxed bangle joint, then heat the whole bangle by rotating your torch,with a gentle flame around the bangles circumference, slightly pointing into the centre of the bangle, when the whole bangle reaches the correct temperature the solder will run through the fluxed joint from the inside to the outer face.
    Good luck,
    James

Hi all
    Just letting you know I had success in soldering my bangle. Yippee!! Using both torches at once was a bit tricky, but after repositioning a fire-brick as a wall, my bangle heated up more quickly as I could see it glow, and then it flowed. I also went around the bangle in a figure 8 instead of just around, which seemed to keep it hotter, and I skipped over the solder so I wasnt frying it. Thanks so much for all your comments and ideas
    Meli