Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Koil Kutter users

Hi Barbara and welcome back.

I don't do maille, but if you read through past threads you will gather that hand cutting with a saw gives cleaner edges. Note particularly what George says, because she's an expert.

Regards, Dennis.

Is it just me of does that tool look like it would be pretty easy to make yourself anyway?
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Probably, but any rotary tool sharp enough to cut metal needs to be firmly held and out of the way of fingers, because it will want to judder and jump.

Hi Barbara and welcome back. Sorry to hear your bad news.

If you're looking for jump rings for chain maille, I can thoroughly recommend George's rings. They're so clean and shiny with no burrs. So much better than any I've ever bought elsewhere.

Thanks for all your comments. I am making quite a lot of bracelets, pendants and earrings Carole and have a couple of outlets with steady sales so I do use a lot of rings...one of my pieces (Labyrinth weave) uses just over 300! I am winding and cutting my own (with a jeweller's saw) which gives me great scope in having plenty of different sizes (God bless the knitting needle!!) in different wire gauges and metals and obviously it is cheaper than purchasing them and paying postage. It was just a thought, as I was sawing through my morning coils, that I could spend minutes rather than hours doing this if I had some kind of cutter. I already have a Dremel so the Koil Kutter looked like a good option. I just blanch at the thought of the added customs charge! To anyone that owns one...is this cutter really useless and not up to the job? And - just as an afterthought...does anyone this side of the pond have a (Dremel) Koil Kutter that they don't want any more for sale...... !!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0806_zps07ab814b.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	6974

I like my Koil Kutter and would not be without it, but it is one of the originals and the newer ones are said to be less good. I have difficulty holding the coil when cutting with a saw so only use that method for small numbers of rings.

Just over 300 rings does not sound a lot, one of my collars used more than 1440.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop