Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold on Silver

Default Gold on Silver

Hi
    I want to solder a small flat bit of gold about 3mm sq onto a 10mm sq flat silver
    can i put the solder onto the silver melt it then just place the gold on top? this is my first try at soldering.

Thanks
    Lee

I have done the same thing in the past with no problems.

Lee, always put the solder on the smallest piece when soldering layers this way. I would add solder to the gold piece first as it will give you a better solder finish and not flood all over the surface of the silver.

James

James
    So when the solder is melted onto the gold will it not fall off when i turn the gold over to stick it down?
    Sorry if these are real stupid questions.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by leemorris View Post
    James
    So when the solder is melted onto the gold will it not fall off when i turn the gold over to stick it down?
    Lee
    no Lee it wont fall of as it is melted onto the gold, dont forget to clean and re-flux before you solder the gold to the silver

James
    Lee
    No dont worry the solder will not fall off when u flip it over.

Stu

Lee, if you have not done this before, don't risk spoiling your gold, which is expensive, before practicing with something cheap like copper.
    regards, Dennis.

Hi Thanks for the replies
    i was going to use silver solder is this ok?
    can't i put the solder on the gold then stick it to the silver while the solder is still molten?
    Lee

Lee, what has been suggested is called sweat soldering. You melt several paillions of solder onto the smaller piece. There is no need, but for a beginner it is easier if you now pickle, wash and reflux. There should be evenly spaced patches of solder, flattened and re solidified.

The second, larger piece is then cleaned with abrasive paper or a Scotchbrite pad like the first and the smaller refluxed piece is placed on top, solder side down.

By re-heating this assembly, preferably from below, the solder will re-melt and join the two parts. when you see a faint line of liquid solder at the edges of the top piece, remove the flame because you will have finished.

To solder from below, put your piece on some steel gauze suspended on a tripod, or between two soldering blocks. Failing this, heat a block until it begins to glow, and then slide your work onto the hot spot and continue from above.

Cut small paillions of silver solder for this, the grade depending on how many further soldering operations you intend. If there are not many you could start with medium, or even easy solder, so reducing the amount of heat needed. For flux you can use borax or auflux for the first two, but I advise easy flux for easy solder.

Please do not underestimate the learning curve to do this successfully. Hence my advice to practice with cheap materials first. If you are serious join a class. Dennis

Hi Thanks for the replies
    i was going to use silver solder is this ok?
    can't i put the solder on the gold then stick it to the silver while the solder is still molten?
    Lee
    Hi Lee you need gold solder to solder this, if your gold is 9ct then you need 9ct gold solder if 18 ct you need 18